My '78 GS750 ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My '78 GS750 ..

Earlier this year I purchased a '78 GS750 to keep my '79 GS550 company. Complete running bike, but run down. Paint was junk, exhausts junk, etc. I've been sidetracked with other projects over the year, but did attempt a colour change .. which failed:

I really like the orange, but the paint bleed thru when the clearcoat was applied

In disgust, I just primer-sealed the panels and painted it original black with a set of '77 stripes. I'll NEVER put decals on again .. arrgghh!!

I've fitted a set of Dunstall-replica mufflers (cheap), and am currently having a hard time with the front forks, but I'm hoping it will be back on the road in a few weeks!

Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.

Yes the front seals can be very hard to remove so I used the jack and car method . Infact they were in so good it made my car move and I still had to pry the seals when they refused to come all the way out .

Comment

That's a good start Oz!
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by John Mellencamp View Post
        http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec...als/index.html

Yes the front seals can be very hard to remove so I used the jack and car method . Infact they were in so good it made my car move and I still had to pry the seals when they refused to come all the way out .
        Got them out .. problem was there is a second lip seal underneath the normal oil seal what I don't have and now need to find. Hopefully not from overseas ..

Comment

Shame about the orange - looks great. Where'd you get the decals with that scheme? And do you know why the orange bled through? (i'd really like a look like that for my bike).

Stock paint looks pretty good too though. I can't decide which way to go with my 750.
          1979 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Coady View Post
            Shame about the orange - looks great. Where'd you get the decals with that scheme? And do you know why the orange bled through? (i'd really like a look like that for my bike).

Stock paint looks pretty good too though. I can't decide which way to go with my 750.
            The orange scheme I painted up myself. I saw a Japan-only stripe version on the 750 I wanted decals for but couldn't get, so just painted a simplified version myself. The white in that scheme (white painted first, then black, then orange) bleed thru the orange when the clearcoat was applied. Probably combination of sh!te paint, not dry, too much thinners in clearcoat, etc ..

The original black might keep the restorers happy ..

Comment

Originally posted by OzJavelin View Post
              The orange scheme I painted up myself. I saw a Japan-only stripe version on the 750 I wanted decals for but couldn't get, so just painted a simplified version myself. The white in that scheme (white painted first, then black, then orange) bleed thru the orange when the clearcoat was applied. Probably combination of sh!te paint, not dry, too much thinners in clearcoat, etc ..

That sucks.
              1979 GS750E

Comment

This is that scheme:

Comment

Finally got the forks back together and everything except the seat back on the GS.

Hooked up the battery, turned the key and nothing .. no lights, no horn, no start no nothing. Check the voltage of the battery, checked all the joiner blocks around the engine still nothing. Then rememebered I'd changed the headlight bucket, so checked all the wires in there. Started wiggling them about and the lights would flash on and off. Eventually traced it back to the block joining to the ignition barrel .. the primary power feed wire had broken off and was just touching. All fixed and the GS fired up first go and idled nicely!

Sounds like I have an exhaust leak on the RHS, but other than that I'm wrapped it was so easy to get going again.

(Oh .. of course the petcock leaked for about 2hours end eventually stopped of it's own accord)

Will get photos soon ..

Comment

Good on ya. Definfitely post some pics.

I had the same thing happen on my old GSX250 with a broken connection at the ignition barrel. Corroded and broken connections drive ya nuts on these bikes (amongst everything else), but very sweet once they're sorted.
                    1979 GS750E

Comment

Got 70mm rain on the weekend so haven't been outside, so here are some poor phone photos inside the shed:

Only think really left is a proper clean and do SOMETHING with the exhaust headers and the chrome which is all tarnished ..

Comment

Nice "pair" you have there!

Comment

Do you have to move the bike every time you want a beer ?

Nice ride you've got there (both of them) , old mate . You'll love the 750 . I recently bought one in the States . I found it to be very capable for two up touring , and also very eager through the twisties . Good ride , that .
                          If you've got points , I'd lose them . Mine let me down , and they're a pain in the arse .

You're braver than me even attempting to do your own paint . Would you do it again ? Not me . I'd rather pay someone else to screw it up .
                          Enjoy the ride .
                          Here's mine , if you wanted a red one .....................

Cheers , Simon .
                          Last edited by simon kuether; 10-31-2010, 06:26 PM.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Fortunately (unfortunately) I don't drink (alcohol) so the fridge is only turned on once-a-year for Christmas. Reminds me I better open the doors again. Thre reason why it's all so crowed is that the rest of the shed has a '70 Plymouth Fury 'vert, '69 AMC Javelin, '74 AMC Javelin, '82 Z650, '78 GS550,'94 ZR550 and a ride-on lawmower all jammed in there!

As for the painting, the bikes I'm buying are typically cheap, so I don't spend a lot of money on them. Maybe once I've ridden them and determined that I like them THEN I'll pull them apart again and fix up properly with a professional paintjob, etc. I'm new to biking, so I don't really know what I want yet ..

Love the red GS! I'd love wires on mine (maybe one day). If you are so inclined, can you PM me with details of how you imported yours and an rough total cost?
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2010, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Nice work, Oz.
                              That shed of yours sounds like a place i could stand slack jawed for a day.

I'd love a set of wires too.
                              But I've seen the prices.

Comment

Working...
                              X