82 GS750S Katana project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS750S Katana project

Picked up a Katana for $375 a couple weeks ago. I also got an 82 GS1100E for the same price

So my plan has been to sell my old honda, fix up a couple project bikes and get a newer bike..... But the more I look at the Katana the more I'm rethinking my plan.

Its a complete bike, I had the carbs off for rebuild, the bike sat for about 10 years, so the carbs were quite bad. The tank for whatever reason is spotless I just cleaned it out. Also un seized the starter.

Right after I took the picture I threw on the carbs and a fresh battery and she fired right up!

This GS engine is really quiet compared to my DOHC honda, not as many wrenches flying around in there.

Can anyone ID this pipe? The bikes came with two other better pipes, but I dont recognize this one.

Also here is a picture of the 1100E engine from the other bike. It came with an unopened gasket kit, new cam chain, and new rings. It sure would look nice in that Katana

You stole that Katana, if it were me I would sell everything off and restore the Kat. There can't be too many of those left.

Are the carbs missing? hard to tell from the pic...

Comment

How does something like this happen and why can't it happen to me? Talk about grand theft auto. That bike is damned near perfect. A good hose down and buff and you've just made 8 or 10 times your investment.

Shoot I hate guys like you.....next time keep it to yourself, you're making too many folks jealous

Enoy you lucky bastidge!

Cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

Excellent score!
        I know nothing about the pipe other than the brand name Gemini. It has been years since i have seen one.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

That's an amazing steal. Good for you...now stop bragging..lol

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
            You stole that Katana, if it were me I would sell everything off and restore the Kat. There can't be too many of those left.

Are the carbs missing? hard to tell from the pic...

I'm not selling off my CBX, sure would be cool to have a CBX and an 1100 Kat in the same garden shed

Carbs are back on, just finished cleaning them and daylight was short for pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
              How does something like this happen and why can't it happen to me? Talk about grand theft auto. That bike is damned near perfect. A good hose down and buff and you've just made 8 or 10 times your investment.

Shoot I hate guys like you.....next time keep it to yourself, you're making too many folks jealous

Enoy you lucky bastidge!

Cheers,
              Spyug
              So are these things really that hard to come across? I'm new to the Suzuki side of things...

The only thing I'm having trouble with is finding fork tubes. I cant seem to find a microfiche with this bike on it

Comment

how the #### am i supposed to sell mine for 2 grand when theres still deals like that to be had,joking aside you got a smoking deal fix her up and ride the hell out of it,stuff that 11 motor in and let the fun begin
                cheers

Comment

The 750 was Canada only on this continent.We got 750 and 1100 Kats up here in 82.The US got 1000 Kats so it are using US fiches they will not have the 750.There are quite a few differences in Canadian vs US models.

Comment

Originally posted by still_bluenoser View Post
                    So are these things really that hard to come across? I'm new to the Suzuki side of things...

You disgust me. $350? That may go down as GSR steal of the year.

No they are not hard to come by at all and are actually looked down upon, sort of like L models.

In all seriousness, take your time, and if you do put that 1100 engine in it, DO NOT sell the 1000 engine. It is what makes that 1st year Kat so valuable. We in the states were the only ones to get that (so they could race it in superbike class of AMA).

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
                      You disgust me. $350? That may go down as GSR steal of the year.

No they are not hard to come by at all and are actually looked down upon, sort of like L models.

In all seriousness, take your time, and if you do put that 1100 engine in it, DO NOT sell the 1000 engine. It is what makes that 1st year Kat so valuable. We in the states were the only ones to get that (so they could race it in superbike class of AMA).
                      Its actually a Canadian 82 750 katana.

Its the first 82 I've seen, there are a couple 84 and 85's around, but they are quite different.

Comment

$350?
                        ~sigh~

Well done, mate. Good score.

Comment

Its actually a Canadian 82 750 katana.

Its the first 82 I've seen, there are a couple 84 and 85's around, but they are quite different.
                          Really? Well then on with the 7/11 conversion! You will be very happy with the torque.

Comment

I'm thinking I'll keep it stock on everything but the engine. The 750 engine I have is in great shape so I think I'll keep it and store it. I just really need something more than an old 750. By CB750 is boring me in the power department, I think a slightly hopped up 1100 would be in order.

Comment

I'm thinking I'll keep it stock on everything but the engine. The 750 engine I have is in great shape so I think I'll keep it and store it. I just really need something more than an old 750. By CB750 is boring me in the power department, I think a slightly hopped up 1100 would be in order.
                              Best way to get more power for the buck.

Plus, if you keep the 750 motor, you can always go back to stock when you need to.

Comment

Working...
                              X