First Project - 83 GS?750E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Project - 83 GS?750E?

Now that I have found this forum I believe I will be able to bring this bike back to life. I bought it when gas was $4 a gallon and being away from riding for 20+ years. But it was the wrong bike at wrong time - then small things began to go wrong and it has sat in my garage for last three years. Did purchase an 05 Concours this Jan and have already put 8K on her and completed an Iron Butt Saddle Sore - so finally back into riding in a big way.

But my first bike was a Suzuki and really loyal to brand and want to get this one back on road. Never have attempted anything like this but I know that with this forum I now have a good knowledge base to be successful.

She was running good but then Clutch cable broke, waiting for that part - the carbs gummed up, I took them apart but didnt have skills to determine what exactly was wrong, though did manage to get them back on and bike started. - Ran into money problems an now battery wont take a charge.

So until I can get new battery - I believe first order of business is to
    1. Check tank for rust
    2. Spray oil (any suggestions) down cylinders and make sure engine isnt siezed.
    3. Once I get battery then I guess I see if it will fire up - yes = start from front and work my way to rear.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I have already subscribed to several other 83 GS750 threads and will read their posts to help with troubleshooting and parts.

Also, once she is running and street worthy really want to find a half or 3/4 fairing for her - so I wonder if one off a 550ES or 1100/50 ES would work.

Really glad to finally this site. And will contribute to site next paycheck.

Welcome aboard, mate.
    Best you throw a few photos up.
    We like photos here.

You have definitely found the right place too.
    If these blokes don't know something it never existed.

Comment

Welcome. The 83 is a great bike and once sorted pretty much bullet proof.

There are several threads on restarting a stored bike so search and check them. Basically, you have it right. I'd oil up the cylinders with something like Marvel Mystery Oil or ATF with acetone or some such and allow it to sit for a few days to ensure the rings free up from the cylinder walls. Before firing up turn the engine over by hand ( remove right hand engine cover and turn the big nut on the end of the crank). If all is free and turns with no resistance than you're good to fire up.

Fresh fuel, battery and plugs and you should get fire in the hole. There will be smoke from the oil in the cylinders but that should clear up fairly quickly. Before running the bike for any length of time change the oil and filter.

Pictures please and let us know how it goes.

Good luck,
      spyug

Comment

Thanks for WOW (word of wisdom) first order of business now is to find the dagnabit key. I know I put it in a safe place - now to determine which safe place. If that fails - already found link on this site for replacement keys at a reasonable price. Sent email to guy making sure the key he makes from ignition # will work on gas cap, seat and helmet locks. Will do the cylinder squirt this weekend and report back next week. I think I need a camera for pixs unless yall accept drawings.

Comment

thats the bike im rebuilding now, it is a great quick lil bike, i used tranny oil, kerosene,and some other penatrating oils to soak the cylinders with
          98-125 is minimal compression after its loose for ya
          TURN THE MOTOR OVER WITH PLUGS OUT SO YOU WONT BLOW THE HEAD GASKET
          if your tank is rusty and it gets past the filter in the tank, the float seats will need blown clean with air, i believe there is a screen behind the seat area,it will clollect the rusty gunk, and while your in there the pilot jets, are under the "rubber plugs"!,in the float bowl
          its not going to start n run worth crap if there clogged, "be careful" on the inner rubber air filter boots there discontinued, or something all i could get were the out side ones!
          if you need pics or something let me know i have a factory manual
          BTW-TURN IT OVER IN SHORT BURSTS,DONT HOLD THE STARTER ON FOR A LONG TIME ,
          someone did this to mine,burnt the ignighter wires ,and stator!, i had to fix the burnt garbage, good luck

Comment

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
            thats the bike im rebuilding now, it is a great quick lil bike, i used tranny oil, kerosene,and some other penatrating oils to soak the cylinders with
            98-125 is minimal compression after its loose for ya
            TURN THE MOTOR OVER WITH PLUGS OUT SO YOU WONT BLOW THE HEAD GASKET
            if your tank is rusty and it gets past the filter in the tank, the float seats will need blown clean with air, i believe there is a screen behind the seat area,it will clollect the rusty gunk, and while your in there the pilot jets, are under the "rubber plugs"!,in the float bowl
            its not going to start n run worth crap if there clogged, "be careful" on the inner rubber air filter boots there discontinued, or something all i could get were the out side ones!
            if you need pics or something let me know i have a factory manual
            BTW-TURN IT OVER IN SHORT BURSTS,DONT HOLD THE STARTER ON FOR A LONG TIME ,
            someone did this to mine,burnt the ignighter wires ,and stator!, i had to fix the burnt garbage, good luck
            Thanks - I have a new first order of business - if I cant find key this weekend will need to order one but found someone on ebay (through this site) that can make one. I think once I get it in good order and road worthy again I am going to trade it in on an early model GS850G - my first bike was a GS650G and I liked the ergonomics (I am into LD riding), the 83 was fun but the riding position was a little to sport for my 50+ year old body. I need to get a camera so I can post before and after.

Comment

the cruser models are comfy i had a kz csr/ltd, and loved it but i had short bars so it was event more comfy

Comment

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
                the cruser models are comfy i had a kz csr/ltd, and loved it but i had short bars so it was event more comfy
                I like the riding position of the early stds GS and the shaft drive of the Gs and I believe the LD, not sure which of the custom/cruisers had shaft. I had a GS650G and it was comfortable for long rides - from VA to TX and back one year - would cruise at 80+ with feets on passenger pegs and my chest resting on a fully loaded tank bag. Had a clip on 3/4 windscreen - man that was riding. Want to experience that again. Thanks

Comment

Well, I was able to find the key. I checked the gas tank last night. Small areas of rust but not bad for being laid up for over three years. I guess the next step is to clean the tank. While tank is off will drain carbs (but I dont think should have any gas as I had them cleaned and put them on but couldnt get the motor to start. If gas drains from carbs will need to pull and clean. Will pull plugs and spray cylinders and after couple of days will see if engine turns over.

After all that will re-install tank, carbs new plugs and either test plug wire or buy new ones and get a new battery and see if she fires up.

Any suggestions to the above will be greatly appreciated. Need some recommendations on how to remove rust from tank and treat. Also what needs to be done to petcock. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Can anyone tell me a model number for the battery I can use in my project. I will try to find one or similar on Ebay. thanks

Comment

YB14LA2 Yuasa is what they came with when new.
                      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                        YB14LA2 Yuasa is what they came with when new.
                        K, should be able to cross-reference to other models. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by croach1776 View Post
                          K, should be able to cross-reference to other models. Thanks
                          who ever sells batteries should have books to cross ref them, even a walmart
                          there is 2 batts to choose from though, 1 reg,and 1 hd/high torq, it will say in the books

Comment

How's the project coming?

I've got an '83 750e in storage right now... probably won't be ridden for at least a year 'cause it needs some work and my other bike runs well...

Comment

Originally posted by herostar View Post
                              How's the project coming?

I've got an '83 750e in storage right now... probably won't be ridden for at least a year 'cause it needs some work and my other bike runs well...

me? not smooth at all im getting dick'd around on my piston kit!, need to check crank,and rod bearings, and the bottom can go back together

Comment

Working...
                              X