My new current project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new current project

So Ive tried to own two Suzuki GS's since finding this board and neither of them worked out. One was a basket case and then I wasnt able to get the title without paying out the you know what. The second I thought was going to be the one since I bought it from a GSR member but that turned out to be wrong and I got screwed on the whole title thing again but then it started giving me other troubles so strike two.

But now, thanks to another GSR member Ive got a bike that is MINE and I can work on to get her back on the road. Going tomorrow to transfer the title over. Just in time for winter!! lol

So here is how she sits right now, in running condition just needs some TLC for cosmetic and some mechanical. The mechanical side is what Im focusing on first then Ill make her look pretty ha ha.

1985 GS700E with 2000 miles on the clock

sorry for the cell phone pics but the batteries in the camera were dead. There will be more pics as I continue but it will be a slow process.

Last edited by Sparky; 03-20-2011, 01:11 AM. Reason: Wanted to change the title to be more specifit
    ---Eric

Well done sir. These are great bikes and you will enjoy it immensly.

Looks like you do have a very nice bike to start with so I'm betting with a bit of rubbing and polishing you'll have a regular gem.

Post the pics as you go along.

Cheers,
    spyug

Comment

I am totally jealous. Nice bike man. One of these days I will get my hands on one.
      I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
      1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Wow, nice one, and 2000 miles, I don't think you are going to spend too much time working on that one, she looks really good already.
        Hope you enjoy many happy miles on her.

Comment

thanks guys.

I do have a couple question to add here rather than make a new thread just yet. What would cause the forks to hit the tank when turned all the way to the left but hit the stop when turning all the way to the right?

Also, cant find in the wiring diagram, what wire(s) send signal to the tach because the tach is not operational. I have read a thread about replacing circuit board components but just want to check it all first.

On about the bike some more.

She has been exposed to the elements some so there is some rust that needs sanded/painted, things like calipers need painted, aluminum needs stripped of clear coat and polished up, etc, etc.

Runs pretty darn good though I think. Getting new plugs and cleaning up wire ends and boots tomorrow along with oil change and air filter is on its way. Already went through all electrical connectors and cleaned them up with cleaner and sand paper.

There is some damage on the tank side but nothing major. I just figure out earlier than there needs to be some rubber type spacers under the mounting "tabs" on the back of the tank but they are missing. I used some nuts for a temp fix and now the tank is not touching the valve cover and the right side cover is no longer touching the carbs. Sides fit up to the seat better too.
          ---Eric

Comment

Don't spend a penny on the bike until the title is in your name.

Comment

I havent yet, but the title is signed over and ready to transfer which is what im doing in the AM as I said earlier
              ---Eric

Comment

That looks rather nifty in white.
                I don't think I've seen one like that before.
                Nice one..

Comment

Very nice buy Eric. Check out BassCliff's website for the wiring diagram. He might have one on there for ya. And I do agree w/ Leigh, the white and blue looks HOT!

Comment

Ive got a readable diagram thanks to jwhelan65 as well as a copy of the valve adjustment. The problem is the only wiring it shows, as far as I can see, to the tach is the power/ground for the light behind it.

So the bike is in my name and insured and ive been riding it around town and down the back roads (staying close just in case) for the past hour or so and I must say I love it. I ran some seafoam and fresh gas in her and she perked right up like someone who has had their morning coffee lol

And the best part Ive already got a bunch of staring people and 2 compliments. Now I just need to get a full face helmet and start in on checking, cleaning, painting, and servicing whatever needs it.

Im so happy I finally got a GS of my own
                    ---Eric

Comment

Nice one, Sparky.

Comment

Thanks guys. Im ordering a few parts I need right now as well as a couple of parts I want

And Im going to do a little painting tomorrow if its not raining, guess I need to check the weather.
                        ---Eric

Comment

slow and steady progress as Im on a tight budget right now.

Painted the caliper, mounting bar (what it called, anybody know?) and grab handles. They were flaking and grab handles were rusty. Also polished up the exhaust, some scratches and stuff and rust on the head pipes but they came out pretty darn good for how they started. Ill get pics of those soon. Also got new brake pads on the rear and new fluid in the system.

BEFORE

AFTER

(water on the tire, ground is soggy from about 48 hrs of rain)

Also go my new (to me) side reflectors from svsooke to replace the one that was broken

Got a used set of signals from my buddy, stockers off his Ninja but they are functional and I dont think they look too bad. They will do until I buy some LED signals.

---Eric

Comment

Bike

That is a really nice bike! Tweak as you need to. Good luck and sorry to hear about all the other misfortunes you have had trying to get one.
                            Greg
                            sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                            2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                            Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                            '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

That's the way, a little bit at a time. Ride some, fix some....works for me. You do have a gem of a bike there so it does behoove you (love that word) to keep it pristine.

What's next on the agenda?

Keep us in the loop and let us know how much you enjoy it.

cheers,
                              Spyug

Comment

Working...
                              X