Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripping paint

As it states above.
    Whats the best way to strip the factory paint down to the bare base material?

Metal gas tank...
    I'm wondering if using sand as a media on the metal gas tank, will it "roughen" up the metal too much?

And the plastic tail piece....
    use soda?

i used a da sander for the tank, i dont see why you need to strip plastic down, just ruff up and paint.

Comment

sand plastic with 600 grit, seal, and paint. Metal parts, I like to use a product called Aircraft Stripper. works great, just rough up the old paint with 80 grit paper so the chemical can really work.

Comment

Gads, being the lazy type, I wanted to steer clear of manual labor lol.

Comment

Any paint job requires lots of manual labor

Comment

Paint stripper works well on metal parts like the tank. Plastic parts are a pain, particularly if there are graphics applied, since you have to sand them down by hand. Yes, lots of work as Lynn states.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If there are any vinyl graphics on the tank, 3M makes a rubber eraser wheel that fits in your drill. Takes graphics off without causing damage to the paint. I think I've seen the wheel in auto zone

Comment

i just got done painting mine and i used the aircraft stripper also.. but only on the metal parts!!! i sanded the heck out of the tail using 100 grit and a small virating sander... turned out great! i removed all the graphics with good ole fingernails before any sanding or stripping. just take your time, a good paint job is all in the prep work.

Comment

I have often heard that painting is 90% preparation.

Unfortunately for you, probably 90% of that preparation is going to be "manual labor".

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There's a wheel for graphics?
                    Where was this information a few weeks ago as I painfully sliced and peeled mine off with a one sided razor blade?

Although, eucalyptus oil and a heat gun will lift them off quickly and painlessly.

Comment

Rick,

Feel free to check out my thread...
                      Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

I'm probably a few days behind you as I'm still waiting for my tank to arrive but I bought an old center stand to tinker with first.

I had found someone here who had real good luck cleaning his carbs out with a baking soda blaster but that didn't quite cut it for a job like this. The paint stripper did a pretty respectable job at getting all but the most well adhered paint off my center stand. I'm hoping that since the gas tank has less crevices the job will be more straight forward.

Right now I plan on trying a few coats of paint stripper first followed by the trusty 150 grit orbital sander. Once I'm down to bare metal I'll likely go for the tank sealer straight off rather than trust what it may or may not look like in there from the PO. Looks like rolling aquarium gravel is the way to go there to ruff things up and try to release as much rust as possible before trying to do an internal coating.

Keep me posted on your own success and let me know if you run into any snags I should think about before I get there. ;-)

All the best.

Comment

I have heard that once you get an edge started on graphics that wd 40 dissolved the glue pretty quick.. anyone know of this??
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          I have heard that once you get an edge started on graphics that wd 40 dissolved the glue pretty quick.. anyone know of this??
                          Doing this right now with WD-40, it work a little bit, not really good. Still have to get under there with a knife or something. Looking for the old MonoKote heat gun.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                            There's a wheel for graphics?
                            Where was this information a few weeks ago as I painfully sliced and peeled mine off with a one sided razor blade?

Made by 3M part #07499 Cost about $20. Great because it won't damage the clear or paint beneath the vinyl. Also removes pin stripes as long as they are not under the clear.

Comment

Trouble I've had with WD is that it tends to smear the adhesive. I like to use paint thinner or even lighter fluid.

Comment

Working...
                              X