North Jersey Attractions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Jersey Attractions

Hi folks, this is a copy of a post in the Riding Game thread, just a little plug for how nice the riding and countryside are up here in Northern New Jersey. This is just one late afternoon's sampling!

As promised (threatened) here are some pics I snapped yesterday, in the spirit of the 'artifacts from yesteryear connected to a previous way of life'. I just love this stuff, and have to share.

Exhibit A: this is one of many old forges scattered throughout our area, they can be seen beside old back roads. I'm sure they date back to the early 1800s or earlier, obviously when metal working was a local affair. All the forges are of similar design, I'm not sure why we have so many.

Exhibit B: an antique gas pump, probably well over 50 years old, hearkening back to the days of uniformed gas station attendants filling your car, checking your oil, cleaning your windshield. Extra bonus is that the 'mom and pop' garage is still in business. I love Stillwater!

Exhibit C: last but by no means least is this viaduct located just outside of Blairstown NJ. This is part of the Lackawanna Cutoff rail system connecting PA and NJ. It was built in 1910, and was a marvelous engineering feat in its day, one of the largest projects in the nation at the time, as well as one of the first uses of reinforced concrete. It once serviced a booming tourist industry to and from the Poconos, but has been abandoned since the early 80s, people are trying to bring it back into service. This viaduct is enormous, it's really hard to get the scale of it from pictures. By the time I was far back enough to get the bottom and top into the picture you could barely see the bike at the bottom. I've been up inside the arches in the past, and walked along the tracks at the top. This is a favorite spot for 'rural graffiti artists'.

I hope you enjoyed yesterday's ride!
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Like I said in the riding game thread - wow those are nice. Sure beats the town area I always saw whenever I went out East.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Cool pics! For those who don't know, the original Friday The 13th movie was shot in various locations in & around Blairstown....it's main claim to fame.
      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

New Jersey is actually a very pretty state. Many people don't realize this because of the reputation cities like Trenton, Camden, and Newark have... Once you leave the urban sprawl behind though its actually very nice. MY contribution to the Jersey love thread for now...

A picture of my buddy's bike on one of the good back roads once you leave the cities in your rear view. As I get into taking more pictures, and hopefully soon videos, I'd like to post them up here. Show everyone that Jersey isn't all smelly

Comment

Thanks guys. My only introduction to New Jersey was a short trip to Atlantic City for a 5K road race many years ago. Definitely lots nicer than I remember it to be.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Those pics barely scratch the surface! There's a reason why New Jersey is known as "The Garden State." It's actually one of the most beautiful states you can visit! I lived in North Brunswick as a kid, and have relatives in various other parts of the state. My uncle used to live in Fairhaven, which is (like many other NJ towns) about as typical a "picturesque" hamlet as you'll find anywhere...

Regards,

Comment

I live in central NJ right now.
              (wish i didn't have to live in NJ period!,haha)

But there's plenty of good back-roads to ride on, me and my buddy ride around the back-roads here, or hop over the river into PA and ride a long the border.

I just moved up to branchburg, and it sucks over here, cars all over the place, you have to go out at midnight just to ride in peace!
              Its just a little too far East for me.

Comment

Riding along the Delaware River from Lambertville to Port Jervis is great. Bucks County has some nice roads to. Who wants to go riding?

Comment

i would climb all over that bridge. can you get up on top of the arches?
                  2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                  82 gs1100L probably the next project
                  1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                  1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                    i would climb all over that bridge. can you get up on top of the arches?
                    Not only can you get on top of it and walk across the rail tracks, You can lift open and access panel, squeeze yourself through a tiny little hole and actually climb into the structure. Those bearing walls running from the bottom arch up to the track have man-doors in side of them allowing you to walk from one end to the other. Its very cool. At the ends of the bridge your inside a tall concrete shaft that runs up into blackness. Its very cool. Especially when its pitch black and your only light source is a road flare and some roman candles . You feel like a bit like Indiana Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                      Exhibit A: this is one of many old forges scattered throughout our area, they can be seen beside old back roads. I'm sure they date back to the early 1800s or earlier, obviously when metal working was a local affair. All the forges are of similar design, I'm not sure why we have so many.

Forges?????? FORGES !!!!!!!!!!!

I was always told they were old Hobbit homes.

My mother may be 97, but I'm going to have to have a talk with her tonight.

Comment

Delaware Water Gap Pics

The other weekend when we had that nice spurt of really nice weather my girlfriend and I went hiking out in the Delaware Water Gap. For those not familiar with the area (which would be most I imagine ) Its a 29 mile reserve that is part of the Appalachian mountain range. It is right on the border of NJ and PA. Lots of great roads surrounding it but since we took the cage no pics of those sorry. However after a steep about 2 miles to the top, the view was pretty awesome.

Here's where we ate lunch, packed salami sandwiches, about halfway to the summit. Not a bad view for NJ. While the mountains out west make it look like an anthill, its the tallest thing around for a good distance.

The view from the top was just as good. The climb took us up almost 1800 feet. Again small for you guys out west, but not bad for Jersey.
                        Also from this view you could see Allie's big old bridge about 7 miles away.

It was a very nice afternoon out in the orange leaves, It's probably all bare now. Anyway for those who say nothing natural is pretty in NJ. I say HAH!!

Thanks

Comment

I just came across this thread.

Allie, those are some great shots. I also enjoy using my motorcycle for "time travel" back to earlier eras.

Tim Tom, the Delaware Water Gap is featured in an article in the current Rider magazine. Clem Salvadori rides through it on a Harley trike. I have looked at those roads on my trips to New England as possibly a way to avoid Scranton getting between I-84 & I-80 so I thoroughly enjoyed the article. After reading it and seeing your mention here I will definitely take in the Gap the next time I traverse that route. I may even allow some extra time and check out Allie's bridge if it is that close.
                          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

We've been all up in around and through that trestle, it's amazing. There are chambers in there so dark that they just swallow up flashlight beams. There is naturally graffiti all over it, pretty interesting stuff. The last time I climbed it they erected gates around the tracks where it crosses over the road, they don't want people falling off. Yes it has happened.
                            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Sussex and Warren County are a real nice part of NJ

Comment

Working...
                              X