POR-15 on filler neck of tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POR-15 on filler neck of tank?

Just wondering if when I coat the tank w/ the sealant - after completing the cleaning and etching steps w/ the appropriate flushing, rinsing, etc. - should I coat the "filler neck" where the gas cap inserts? My concern is that I won't be able to insert the gas cap as it's a fairly close fit right now. The neck's not really rusty, so I'm thinking of just blocking it off from the sealant some how. Any ideas?

I have always coated the entire tank, including the filler area on the several tanks I've done. I don't believe you'll have any issues. The thing you want to watch for is that little vent hole in that neck area - poke a wire thru it before the POR-15 material hardens up.

If after it cures you have interference with the cap, I would simply sand it down to remove some of the coating...

Don't know if you've ever used the POR-15 stuff before - DO NOT get it on your skin (hands). It is impossible to remove, even with solvent. It has to wear off (ask me how I know). Wear gloves!!

Good luck & welcome to the forum!

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
      Just wondering if when I coat the tank w/ the sealant - after completing the cleaning and etching steps w/ the appropriate flushing, rinsing, etc. - should I coat the "filler neck" where the gas cap inserts? My concern is that I won't be able to insert the gas cap as it's a fairly close fit right now. The neck's not really rusty, so I'm thinking of just blocking it off from the sealant some how. Any ideas?
      I sealed anything you don't want to rust, but I never had a fit issue.

One thing to be very aware of is if you dont want a ruined paint job is to unplug a vent hole that is right at the top of the neck (approx 1" down and 1mm in diameter). Teh Por-15 will bridge it and plug it even making it hard to find.

Once this plugs and the tank heats, the gas will overflow from the pressure. It must be the expansion air in the tank that pushes the gas out. It stops with the vent hole.

Wish i had know that before ruining my clear coat.

Comment

Thanks guys. I feel MUCH better now that you veteran GSers have helped me out. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!!

Comment

Yep... definitely don't forget that hole. Got the clearcoat on my friends bike as well until Pos showed him where it was & he poked it open.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I see NO such hole in my filler neck. Is it possible that mine doesn't have one - 1980 GS850G? There was some paint overspray on there from a prior repaint, so I sanded it down to bare metal and no little bitty hole . . .
            Any ideas???

Comment

Working...
            X