Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vent hole(s) in filler neck of fuel tank??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vent hole(s) in filler neck of fuel tank??

I'm about to POR-15 the fuel tank on my 1980 GS850-g and a couple of different folks have warned me to make sure that I locate the vent hole in the filler neck of the tank so that i can poke a hole through it befor the sealer hardens. Trouble is there does not appear to be any hole there. There was a bit of paint overspray in that area from a prior repaint, so i sanded it down to bare metal and I still see no such hole. Is it possible that there isn't one for my year/model? Any ideas?

vent is in the cap

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
      I'm about to POR-15 the fuel tank on my 1980 GS850-g and a couple of different folks have warned me to make sure that I locate the vent hole in the filler neck of the tank so that i can poke a hole through it befor the sealer hardens. Trouble is there does not appear to be any hole there. There was a bit of paint overspray in that area from a prior repaint, so i sanded it down to bare metal and I still see no such hole. Is it possible that there isn't one for my year/model? Any ideas?
      Anything is possible, but i haven't seen a tank yet that doesn't have that little hole in the fill tube...

Look closely right below the "lip" & see if it's there - it's a hole about the diameter of a paper clip wire...
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
        Anything is possible, but i haven't seen a tank yet that doesn't have that little hole in the fill tube...

Look closely right below the "lip" & see if it's there - it's a hole about the diameter of a paper clip wire...
        must be diffrent than the '79s mine vents through the gas cap

Comment

The vent is in the cap, but the side hole needs to be open too. Otherwise air expands and pushes fuel out the vent all over the tank, also to let air out of the top of the tank so you can fill it all the way up. I make the hole a lot bigger, so I can put fuel in faster when I want it topped off all the way up.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            The vent is in the cap, but the side hole needs to be open too. Otherwise air expands and pushes fuel out the vent all over the tank, also to let air out of the top of the tank so you can fill it all the way up. I make the hole a lot bigger, so I can put fuel in faster when I want it topped off all the way up.
            Kent, could you take picture of this? It could explain why I cant fill the tank all the way up, fuel gets pushed out. I may need to check make sure mine is clear

Comment

Originally posted by raistian77 View Post
              Kent, could you take picture of this? It could explain why I cant fill the tank all the way up, fuel gets pushed out. I may need to check make sure mine is clear
              Suzuki designed the tank with a baffle in the filler neck so there will be a little air at the top for expansion. Without that air space the fuel can expand and flow out of the top of the tank. Most GS tanks have that small hole but not sure if all models do.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by raistian77 View Post
                Kent, could you take picture of this?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I found it! Thanks so much for the photo Kent. I still had a bit of paint beneath those notched out areas so I took an awl and probed around and there it was! Thanks again everyone - this forum ROCKS!!

Comment

Working...
                  X