New project build - sacrilege?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New project build - sacrilege?

I really hope it isn't too sacrilegious but I'm "building," an '85 GS550L for the Dirtbag Challenge.

30 days, $1k, and capable of a 3-4 hour tour of San Francisco - that's about it on the rules. I have a little over two weeks left and it's still not running (Any NorCal experts?)

My goals are safe, rideable, legal (lights, reflectors, exhaust) and sorta WTF. The monoshock is a HUGE advantage over all the guys building hardtails.

Not sure exactly how it will all come together, and if you look at images from prior events, I do not intend to destroy it at the end.

So far I've extended swingarm 4 inches, and the done usual rearhoop-ectomy. Easy stuff vs. working on the carbs.

While the finished bike overall concept is still being hashed out - not sure a cafbobchopbrat has been done yet; I'm having a bear of a time with the carbs, but in looking around, that doesn't seem uncommon.

I just realized that I don't have any of the before images hosted so I can share them, but rather than retyping this later, I'll encourage a little anticipation to the thread? I'll get some posted later tonight - as they say, daylight's wastin'

Originally posted by maxandgrinch View Post
    I really hope it isn't too sacrilegious but I'm "building," an '85 GS550L for the Dirtbag Challenge.

30 days, $1k, and capable of a 3-4 hour tour of San Francisco - that's about it on the rules. I have a little over two weeks left and it's still not running (Any NorCal experts?)

My goals are safe, rideable, legal (lights, reflectors, exhaust) and sorta WTF. The monoshock is a HUGE advantage over all the guys building hardtails.

Not sure exactly how it will all come together, and if you look at images from prior events, I do not intend to destroy it at the end.

So far I've extended swingarm 4 inches, and the done usual rearhoop-ectomy. Easy stuff vs. working on the carbs.

While the finished bike overall concept is still being hashed out - not sure a cafbobchopbrat has been done yet; I'm having a bear of a time with the carbs, but in looking around, that doesn't seem uncommon.

I just realized that I don't have any of the before images hosted so I can share them, but rather than retyping this later, I'll encourage a little anticipation to the thread? I'll get some posted later tonight - as they say, daylight's wastin'
    Sacrilegious?
    Nah, it's an L, your good.
    We will be requiring pictures.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What Tom said,

Comment

Sounds like fun to me!

And ditto on the pic's...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

This one looks safe.
          LMAO, looks like fun to me too!!

sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Whew - I'm glad I'm not sawing away on a bike with a must not modify cult following; and if it was, I guess it would have cost more than a dollar.

Starting point (actually after carbs were removed):

You'd have thought it wasn't maintained, left in a field to rot, then gone through multiple attempts at resurrection, and then... actually it was- never had to fight to get any bike, even older ones, apart like on this one. Inches of goo and a lot of simple green

Swing arm with the extension, prepped for primer. I think I'm going to replace the bearings while it is apart, sorta logical, but it gets me that much closer to the $1k number.

I'm hoping to get some Ninja 250 trackbike takeoffs for the front and the rear, and decide on a color in the next 7 or 8 minutes. Oh, and get it running.

Updated progress images on Monday. Thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Sacrilegious?
              Nah, it's an L, your good.
              We will be requiring pictures.

Hey now no picking on the L's
              I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
              1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Painful week getting the carbs functioning, and I'm not sure they're right.

However, new used tires mounted and the swingarm back in place.

This is what was removed from the back

The 4" extension kinda helps?

Comment

No footpegs, no seat? You gonna stand on the back tire like those old log roller dudes?

You could stand on the front of the swingarm if it was a little bit longer.

Oh, wait, this is art, right?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi,

From a previous Dirtbag, this looks like it was pretty well executed. I like the monoshock under the seat.

Less than $850 into this '79 GS1000. It looks quite serviceable.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Subscribed!

Wish we could all donate some time or parts on this one! I love the Dirtbag Challenge. Nothing like a little deadline to make people think and chop harder. Good luck.

Comment

I should add, I'm never, ever going to buy a project bike that doesn't run again; and secondly, I am really loving the mod part of things, but the make run? I could do without that.

I don' think I'm going to have the time to slap a coat of real paint or powder on it - which is a drag.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                          Hi,

From a previous Dirtbag, this looks like it was pretty well executed. I like the monoshock under the seat.

Less than $850 into this '79 GS1000. It looks quite serviceable.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                          That's a seat? did he get if off a tractor?
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

It's over.

Getting it running was a real challenge, and this is the first time it moved under its own power in the 3+ weeks I've owned it, and in the prior 3 years.

That was Friday night, the event was Sunday @ 9. After dealing with things like this:

and this

Saturday morning was go time, with a four hour ride starting at nine Sunday, and time to deal with trying to make it outstanding. Challenge after challenge, time sped up.

Bike and I arrived on Sunday @ 4:30, after working overnight; it was fun and I'm exhausted.

Here's a hint of the finished (for this second) product:

The event:

Professor Dirtbag provides a comparative demonstration showing the properties of the inner and outer cylinders on an inline four cylinder air cooled motorcycle engine under stress, without an active airflow.

Comment

More pics!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X