Where can I get this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can I get this?

My 1100 project is coming along nicely. The Bandit swingarm is all set up but the chain runs close to the top of the arm where it crosses the pivot bolt. I have seen on other bikes where they run a black strip of some sort of plastic or nylon on top of the arm at this point. I think it just sticks on with glue or something. I need this little extra bit of protection in case my chain gets a little loose. Have I explained myself clearly enough so that you know what I mean?

Where can I find this stuff? Does it come in a sheet?
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

SU00025330 BUFFER, CHAIN TOUCH DEFENSE - $33.42

There you have it.

Should be the same guard for all years / models of the Bandit.

Comment

Nope, it isn't for the Bandit specifically. It is a thin strip that sits/glues to the top of the arm. It doesn't run along side the arm since the chain now runs over the arm.
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

hi;
        i may have small strip of teflon.i have good result with this.i will chjeck tomorrow after work.
        marc
        AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
        1978 GS1000C X2
        1978 GS1000E X2
        1979 GS1000S
        1979 gs1000
        1983 gs400e

Comment

Thanks Marc,

I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Paul

Comment

Teflon or delrin will work nicely. You should be able to get a chunk from a 'plastics" supplier or wholesaler. They might even have an offcut you can get out of the trash for free. I'm sure there must be someone down your way, do a search in the industrial suppliers area. On most swingarms the piece is screwed to the arm. Glue will only hold it for a short time. Self tapping screws are your friend if there isn't a pretapped hole there.

These "bumper" plates are designed to wear and be replaced so make 2 while you're at it.

Shouldn't be hard to do as these plastics cut and shape easily with hand tools.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
            spyug
            Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2010, 06:34 PM.

Comment

On the 83GS750E/S they made it so you have to remove the swingarm to replace them... thoughtful huh?

You could run bigger sprockets front / rear to help with this (and still keep the same ratio if necessary).
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

johnson plastics in Toronto should be able to help you out. Or i am sure i could get you a piece if you want to travel

Comment

I didnt find the strip, i will take one tomorrow at work, just PM me your shipping info.
                  marc
                  AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                  1978 GS1000C X2
                  1978 GS1000E X2
                  1979 GS1000S
                  1979 gs1000
                  1983 gs400e

Comment

pm sent...........

Comment

The GSXF's run one.
                      If it's what I'm thinking of.
                      Black plastic channel that is the width of the chain and 2 short sides to act as a chain guide..

Comment

Cheap and easy to make.... Cutting board from wal-mart. Made from white nylon. Under 5 bucks (and lots of spares left over). Held on with counter sunk screws.

Comment

Great idea, man,

Thanks, Paul

Comment

Working...
                          X