White plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White plugs

I took my spark plugs out of my gs500 2005. and the plugs were almost white. the bike is total stock what could this mean? Running very lean?
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Sounds like you are running lean if the plugs are white. If the exhaust and/or intake has been changed/opened up and the carb jets are still stock, it would cause the bike to run lean.

Comment

The Bike

It is stock 2005 17.000 miles gs500f I adjusted the valves a while back that's when I noticed how white the plugs were. I have never touched the carbs. Maybe tuned that way for emissions? I don't know if I should mess with it or not. I'll check on the GStwin site and see what some of those guys think too.
      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
      Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
        Maybe tuned that way for emissions?
        That sounds likely to me.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If its a 2005 model then you are probably right that it was tuned that way at the factory for emissions. My 2007 Suzuki S40 was the same way. Most newer bikes are tuned lean at the factory to meet EPA standards. On my S40 I had to remove the cover on the air/fuel mixture screw and then adjusted the air/fuel mixture to get it set right. The only difference between tuning the S40 and a twin is that you will want to sync the carbs (I love the simplicity of a single cylinder engine)

Comment

Working...
          X