Rear disc swap on the GS450?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear disc swap on the GS450?

Hey guys I've been thinking about swapping the rear drum for a disc set up. Which would be the best GS rear wheel to get that would swap right in? I have access to a small stash of GS parts bikes a couple of which have rear discs. Want to stay with the stock style wheel is why I ask.

I would start looking for a 550 or 650 wheel. Not sure but they may be all pretty close to the same.

Comment

Same boat

I started doing a search awhile ago for the same thing. I think someone mentioned the GS750 would fit.

Scott

Comment

Any idea which years for the 750?

Comment

gsx 400f have a rear disk & the early ones have the star type wheels are yours star or 6 spoke swirl type wheels ? some 550 's look like they have disks on swirl type wheels.you may need the swinging arm as well to mount the caliper, i think the dimension is 200mm , well it is on the 250 ! ps i think the 750 wheel would be too big.
          Last edited by hugo151; 11-08-2010, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I was really bummed the other day, missed picking up an 81 GS750 running for $200. Oh well. Going tomorrow to look through the local spot for parts to see what I can find. He's got some cool stuff I wish he could find the paperwork on.

Comment

I used a 1985 GS550 wheel and parts.

Comment

How a picture of the whole bike, driftmike?

Comment

Well, I started down this path......I have a 78 GS 750 that is rear disc and twin front discs. It has the same star pattern aluminum wheels as my 81 GS 450. It looks like the complete rear wheel would bolt into the GS450 swing arm. You would have to fab a tab for the torque arm, and for the master cylinder. You might be able to install the complete swing arm off of a GS550 or 650 also. I stopped working on it when I crashed the GS450 and ended up limping around for the past few weeks. Current plan is to patch up the GS450 with stock parts from the other 450 parts bike and get it back to ridable condition. The GS750 discs are set aside for the GR650 project I have lined up for when I'm back completely on my feet. I found two of the GR650 Tempters locally as parts bikes. One is complete enough to put back on the road. Plan is a street flattracker look, lowered and with a small nose fairing, dual disc forks and disc rear.

Comment

Well... Basically, I abandoned the idea of having a rear disc brake on my GS450. It would just look more cluttered compared to a drum. The point of a cafe racer is to be simplistic after all .

Comment

Working...
                    X