81' GS450 L Carb Leaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81' GS450 L Carb Leaking?

Hi everyone. I would like to start by introducing myself as a beginner rider and bought my first bike. Its a 1981 Suzuki GS450 LX and is in great shape. I do have a problem that maybe someone on here can help me with.

So, here is my problem.

I recently have had my bike fixed at a shop because of light problems and they fixed it perfect. I brought home my bike and went for a test ride, maybe about 30 minutes in total. On my way back home I noticed that it was having problems whenever idling and then it died at every red light and stop sign. I got it home and thought it might have been the carbs so I took them out,apart and gave them a thorough clean. I placed them back on the bike and started it up.....that's when I noticed both sides of the carburetor leaking gas from where it connected to the clamps of the air cleaner. I took it out again, made sure the float wasn't stuck and everything was good with still no luck.

Maybe I forgot a step when cleaning the carbs? This IS my first time doing it so that was my first thought. Also, does my bike need any specific gas?

Any ideas everyone? I have been reading around where I might have to rebuild it as well. Sorry for the "noobish" questioning, but I am new and want to make sure everything is done precise.

Thanks!

If your carb/carbs are leaking from the overflow tubes, there are only two possibilities. The "O" rings on the fuel inlet needle valves need replacing and/or the float levels are set too high consequently not allowing the floats to reach a position that will shut off the fuel flow when the bowls are full.
    You problem is most likely both of these things. The "O" ring kits for your bike can be had from Robert bar cycleorings. He is a member here.

There are only two "O" rings in each carb, so it is a very easy install.

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. OroscoC,

You should be able to find a few answers in the links below. Let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Do you understand different petcock positions? prime, on, res? and how vacuum makes it work without leaking fuel down vacuum line?
        Before the lights were repaired, had you ridden it without this leaking fuel problem?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X