Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

400, 425, 450? Which one is the best? Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

400, 425, 450? Which one is the best? Why?

Which year is the best?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    Which year is the best?
    The 400's have a roller bearing crank while the 450's have a plain bearing crank. Not sure about the 425's though. And the 400's and 425's have the kick starter. The 450E and 450S have the cool boxy gas tank. The 400's and 425's are more rare so I would think parts are a little harder to find.

That's really all of the differences I can think of. Which one is best? The GS450E/S just because they look cooler, IMO.

Comment

425 w/roller crank.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Can a 450 top end fit on it? Cylinders?

Comment

These are the coolest

Comment

1980 - 82 E and S are the best... coz they all look like what I have

Seriously though I think the tank on these makes the best tank for a cafe, which everyone seems to be doing these days...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              1980 - 82 E and S are the best... coz they all look like what I have

Seriously though I think the tank on these makes the best tank for a cafe, which everyone seems to be doing these days...
              I have to agree. I like the looks of the E model especially for cafe racers. I'm going to turn my 83 450E into a cafe racer for my son.

Comment

Don't forget the 4 cylinder 400s - the GSX400F (make sure it's the later one with the bigger sump and check those valve clearances after every ride) and the GSX400X Impulse with the strange fairing layout. Plus the (bit later) GSX400SSN Katana - can't tell the difference between it and the big ones.

Of the twins. I lked the GS425 the most - best motor, 25cc bigger than the 400 and not such a plain Jane paint job when new.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

ah ah ah

you need to remember that only the 400cc had TSCC, and had 8 valves

All models used the same transmission, which has remained mostly unchanged and is still in use in the GS500 sold today.

Frames from year to year remained mostly unchanged, and I found no change in frame from 81-86.

avoid L models unless you are doing this on the cheap, as the L models are generally cruisers, and in the twins they required a 120/90-16 tire, which only come in very cheap and very expensive. They also have a shorter rear swing arm.

E and S models have mid-rear pegs, L models have mid-ish pegs

Comment

I don't think that the TSCC was sold in the US

Is the TSCC roller crank?

I like the styling of all of them but the L, personally.
                    Last edited by 850 Combat; 11-22-2010, 02:14 AM.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                      I don't think that the TSCC was sold in the US

Is the TSCC roller crank?

I like the styling of all of them but the L, personally.
                      The TSCC is a plain bearing engine,same bottom as the 450.

Comment

TSCC
                        is the Twin Swirl Combustion Chamber

something to do with the shape of the piston and head made it so that two vorticies would form in the intake stroke, helping to more evenly mix fuel and air. The idea is that the more mixed, the faster the pop.

TSCC was never sold in significant numbers in the U.S.A. as suzuki did not believe the American consumer would pay more for a bike with fewer CC's

Comment

TSCC was sold in every Suzuki four valve per cylinder engine for a lot of years, from 1980 on.

Comment

I remember reading when TSCC was new that it was modeled after the Cosworth DFV cylinder head design. The DFV was one of the most successful racing engine designs ever, winning F1 races and Indy car races for probably 20 years. I don't remember four valve 450's in the US though.
                            Last edited by 850 Combat; 11-23-2010, 01:17 AM.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

4 valve 400cc TSCC where imported to Canada,same basic bike as the GS450 with the TSCC head and 400cc engines.Had 2 of them,great little bikes.

Comment

Working...
                              X