Neat article on vintage retired race bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neat article on vintage retired race bikes

Often wondered what happensd to a lot of those old superbikes. I had spent several years chasing leads to try to find my Kawasaki A1-R factory roadracer. The factory said it never was returned as per the lease agreement with my father. Dad is gone so I couldn't ask him. I am pretty sure that we returned it to Action Kawasaki in the spring of 1970 because that was when I got my first TD-2 yamaha factory racer.
    By chance, this last summer I found a A1-R in the Sport Wheels warehouse in Minnesota. I don't think it was mine but a lot of stuff on it had been changed around for endurance racing

Comment

Top secret stuff

Cool info! It makes sense to keep your tricks secret for a few years, but in the eyes of the factory a race bike is just a business asset to be used up and discarded.
      I bet they didn't want all their cheater tricks to get public as well.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

That's an interesting and very cool article--Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Very interesting article.

A real shame though looking back...

Comment

I read that article a few weeks ago and it is a shame that's what happens to many of those bikes. I just hate chopping up things but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to protect such "Top Secret" technology.
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

a very sad reality isnt it? many of those bikes were and are now historic items that would serve well in museums to help the timeline of motorcycle racing and its evolution to what we know.

Comment

I thought they all ended up in the collection of Brian O'Shea.
                He owns a few of the great Superbikes.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I know where an ex-Muzzy ELR bike is! I've SEEN it & am fixing the cylinder head on it now! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    I know where an ex-Muzzy ELR bike is! I've SEEN it & am fixing the cylinder head on it now! Ray.
                    Siezed exhaust valve guide(s) ?

Comment

No, bent intake valves from an over-rev when the trans broke. Ray.

Comment

Cool article Rich - thanks for sharing!
                        What a shame...
                        Scott
                        1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                        1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                        1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                        2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                        sigpic

Comment

Now and then…

Yamaha gave Rossi some of his winning bikes, click on this link and watch the video:
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

There have been a few rarities imported to NZ recently. I was told at the weekend that two TZ750's,two RG500's and a works Moriwaki Honda 750 have come from the collection of a retired Japanese mechanic.
                            I saw a TZ750, one RG and the Moriwaki at the Burt Munro.
                            All seem to have Japanese domestic race history only so it seems possible that some of the works bikes are still around in Japan.

Comment

On a side note, to my understanding factory "R&D" race bike's for the sole purpose of racing do not come with traditional VIN # either, and are technically supposed to be "destroyed" at the end of their service ?

Comment

Working...
                              X