West Camino Cielo : Refugio Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Camino Cielo : Refugio Road

I did a little ride Thanksgivings day (see map below).

This is a bit of an out of the way place, and the ride is pretty switch backy and slow speed only. A little dirt if you go all the way but the scenery is spectacular with basically 360 degree views and 35+ miles of visibility.

Going west from Santa Barbara there is a Refugio Beach State Park and an off ramp. Get off and head to the mountains (north) . This is the same road where former President Ronald Reagan had his ranch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancho_del_Cielo

The road was closed at the top to drop down into Santa Ynez, but the road did split (going east) and an unmaintained goat trail went to Broadcast Peak. With a trail bike it continues all the way to Santa Barbara, but I was not going off roading (too much) on the ED .

I had to do about 200 yards of dirt but other than that it was all paved and good shape. Nothing fast mind you just a peaceful cruse enjoying the scenery.

It was late afternoon so it started to get cold. In the shade it dropped under 51 degrees . At 4000 ft it was probably about 55 degrees in direct sun.

West_Camino_Cielo_Slide_Show_Here

BTW, this is the East Camino Cielo Road.

List the route of your favorite ride or destination and let us know why you think it's so special.

Last edited by posplayr; 11-26-2010, 10:54 PM.

Nice Jim
    No response means their all jealous.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Those vistas are breathtaking. I can only imagine how much more impressive they are in person. Thanks for posting those for us flatlanders, gives us something to pine for...

Comment

Great pictures Posplayer and nice to hear you can still hit the hills without any snow. It's starting to get white out this way.
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
          Those vistas are breathtaking. I can only imagine how much more impressive they are in person. Thanks for posting those for us flatlanders, gives us something to pine for...
          Matt,
          When I first started shooting pics, I almost just gave up because there was no way to take a picture of the view with such a narrow FOV. After stiching a few pics (typical 3) together you can see the earth's curvature so it is a pretty amazing shot. Especially clear this time of year since this is when the humidity is down in the 30's and we get pretty clear days.
          Still a little nippy though.
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Great pictures Posplayer and nice to hear you can still hit the hills without any snow. It's starting to get white out this way.
            We have had snow right after a rain, but it is way up on the mountains, probably 5K FT and above. I have not been on that Refugio road (at least to the top)for about 30 years and I had never been to Broadcast peak before.

It would have been nice to take a trail bike the entire length of the ridge.

Comment

Nice route, I did that one last year and want to do some more Santa Barbara next year..
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                Nice route, I did that one last year and want to do some more Santa Barbara next year..
                Dan,
                I just went to Figueroa Mountain (but road was closed and for good reason ).

List the route of your favorite ride or destination and let us know why you think it's so special.

We should plan a trip or two. There are still places I have not gone.

In the short term I'm thinking SLO county as there is not too much snow near the coast and at 4500 ft, it gets chilly unless it is one of the warmer days.

Bike is running well. Bill helped me fine tune the idle yesterday so carbs are done for now.
                Jim

Comment

The 58 heading east out of there is a fun road... lots of "whoops", leads to the 33 if you follow it all the way, then down to Ojai & back to SB
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                  X