Renovating my 450E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renovating my 450E

Well, Ive got my 450 completely apart now. I want to make improvements, but not lose its' personality. And I say personality and not originality. I'm not a purist, but I like the bike's "look". When I first bought it, it was neglected and ugly. Painted the front fender and fork legs, modified the rear fender and replaced the taillamps, added the cheap quarter fairing. Simple stuff. I still kinda like it, but it's kinda half assed. Now I'm going to do it properly. A complete renovation. The stock fork is very weak. I was looking at maybe a modern front end, but didn't like the look. Now I'm thinking a GS750 front end, so I get a better fork, and retain the original wheel style. I like the wheels. Unless anyone knows of a way to greatly improve the performance of my stock 33 mm fork? May cut down the windscreen a bit. The tank is obviously staying, best part of the bike. I'm torn with the rear. Sometimes I like it, other times I think it looks dated. It would at least need the grab rail removed. I was thinking maybe a street tracker style rear, but wonder if I would lose the "look". I do like the stock seat, however. I did the recover. Probably Progressive rear shocks. I'm replacing the carbs. I have had enough of these temperamental BS 34's. Possibly Keihin round slides. Need to change the exhaust, maybe 2 into 1? have. Either way, everything will be stripped, blasted and painted black urethane. Probably the stock stripe, but only in red. Maybe black wheels with a thin red stripe. Lots of choices to make. I'd love to hear opinions or ideas.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-27-2010, 06:24 PM.

Sounds like a cunning plan to me Tech7!

As far as the front forks go, try some Progressive springs for them, they should slide straight in. That's my plan to fix the spongy front.

IMO the rear ducktail is too large for the rest of the bike.

Scottychop has shrunk his somewhat which looks heaps better. I'm planning on ditching mine altogether.

Good luck and can't wait to see what you do with it.

Also, lots of pic's are compulsory
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I would be very interested to see pictures as you make progress. My 81 GS 450 is bone stock, but with time and money I want to make improvements. I hope you keep us posted, it's a great bike and can be made better.

Comment

Working...
      X