Drain plug hole stripped???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drain plug hole stripped???

Well, I was feeling useful yesterday and decided to change the crankcase oil in my GS 450. Drained it, installed a new filter and o-ring and put the drain plug back hand tight. That is where the problem started. I put a small ratchet on the socket to put a bit more torque on it and it became loose again.....sinking feeling in my heart. I can get it snug, but not solidly tight before it goes loose again. Does this mean my threads are stripped out? Anybody ever had to heli-coil a drain plug hole? Tell me it's all a bad dream!!!

Several options and possibilities exist.

Use a new drain plug and see if its tight. I don't know if that
    would work without being there. OR
    Use a tap and dye kit to go to a larger sized.
    My last choice would be Helicoil because in the long
    run I would not want to depend on that for that
    part.

Its been my experience that the plug will need
    replacing before the hole but you may not be so lucky.

Comment

there exist several choices here. my first and preferred choice is a new oil pan with a non stripped drain hole, alternately, a timesert to repair the damaged threads.

Comment

That sounds like the same sinking feeling I had when putting the gear shift drum arm in the crankcase and the Haynes torque listing was twice what it should be.

I'd be hesitant putting a helicoil in the pan too, and I'd be looking at the previous suggestion of tap and dye to go up a size, there's enough meat around there to do it.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Heli-coil in my drain pan. No problem.
          The Three Horsemen
          '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
          '83 GS1100ES
          ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
          Porkchop Express

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I went ahead and bought another pan off of Ebay. I need to find a gasket now.......suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by olddaddy View Post
              Thanks for all the replies and advice. I went ahead and bought another pan off of Ebay. I need to find a gasket now.......suggestions?
              ebay? or your local suzuki dealer
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Another possibility is an over sized drain plug Motormite #65217 available at most auto part stores

Comment

Honestly, it was much cheaper for me to install a helicoil when I tried taking my bolt off the wrong way than it was to find a new oil pan. After the helicoil and a new washer I haven't had any leaks at all.

Good luck and yea, check the parts houses for a new gasket.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                    Another possibility is an over sized drain plug Motormite #65217 available at most auto part stores
                    I've never used one myself but several members here have had good results with these.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi,

I concur. This is a cheap, simple, long lasting repair. It's a no-brainer. Just get a new, slightly oversize drain plug and call it done.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I found a pan and gasket on ebay for under $20. Got an o-ring online and by next weekend I'll be riding again. Thanks for all the answers and advice, this forum really makes owning a nearly 30 year old Suzuki a lot more fun!

Comment

I have done that on two bikes now.

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          Honestly, it was much cheaper for me to install a helicoil when I tried taking my bolt off the wrong way than it was to find a new oil pan.
                          It's even cheaper to get an oversized plug at Auto Zone.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          I've never used one myself but several members here have had good results with these.
                          I am one of those members, I have done it twice now.

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                          I concur. This is a cheap, simple, long lasting repair. It's a no-brainer. Just get a new, slightly oversize drain plug and call it done.
                          Originally posted by olddaddy View Post
                          I found a pan and gasket on ebay for under $20. Got an o-ring online and by next weekend I'll be riding again. Thanks for all the answers and advice, this forum really makes owning a nearly 30 year old Suzuki a lot more fun!
                          Next time, don't be in so much of a hurry.

Glad that you are happy with your $20+ solution.

For about $2 for an oversize plug, you could have been riding the same evening you found it stripped.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                          X