Burt Munro Wyndham street races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burt Munro Wyndham street races

I headed down to the closed street races with my boys for the day.
    We had a great day.
    Here are a few pictures that may interest you guys
    First is a GS1000 hunting down a smaller 550, the 1000 had some electrical gremlins by the sound of it, and was trailered after a few races.

These two zooks were 1 and 2 all day in the pre '82 class

There were plenty of other great bikes racing, with classes for
    -Girderfork bikes
    -Pre '63
    -Pre '72
    -pre '82
    -pre '89
    -couple of motard classes
    -F3
    -Bears
    Last edited by Guest; 11-28-2010, 09:14 PM.

Come the revolution brother , we'll have street racing back here in Aus .......
    The last one I saw was at Collie in W.A back in the early eighties .
    When men were men and barmaids ate their young .........

Thanks for the pics .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Any Britten sighting or demo lap?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Way cool!

I found this youtube link:
        Wyndham street race,burt munro 2009F3 race 2On board with #153 RVF400In front is Doug Wood ZXR400and Paul Fisher on the Ducati 750
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
          Come the revolution brother , we'll have street racing back here in Aus .......
          The last one I saw was at Collie in W.A back in the early eighties .
          When men were men and barmaids ate their young .........

Thanks for the pics .

Cheers , Simon .
          Yeah I love the street races, missed a few with family and the like. My boys had a good day so it looks like I might be able to justify a few more meetings

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Any Britten sighting or demo lap?
          No Britten, but this was there

I am heading to a big race meeting on boxing day where the Britten normally makes an appearance......

Comment

Is it one of the actual bikes? Very cool if it is.
            I only ask about the Britten because i remember seeing a clip of one being there in '09?
            In a couple of the pics in this article about Burt Munro it shows The Fastest Indian with the streamlining partially removed. How tiny the bike actually was.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I believe it is a Burt bike, but there is another member on here who was there as well that may be able to confirm it.

Comment

Wow... I have no end of respect for Burt and Mr Britten...

Loved the World's Fastest Indian (of course) but have never seen enough of the Brittens as he had already passed on before I got serious about bikes.

I really wish we could get some real road races back over here, I've missed them completely, and only got to marshall at one round at Lakeside before they shut it down too, so we've only got the useless paperclip at Willowbank these days which has nothing on Lakeside (except perhaps some safety features).

I was just reading in article in AMCN the other week about Macarthur Park in Canberra too, now that would've been some fun!
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiGS View Post

No Britten, but this was there

I am heading to a big race meeting on boxing day where the Britten normally makes an appearance......
                  That is the replica that was built for the movie, "World's Fastest Indian". Burt's original bike is on permanent display in Nevillle Hayse's Hardware store in downtown Invercargill. If you ever get a chance to get to the South Island of NZ, it will be a trip you never forget. Especially during the Burt Munro Challenge.

Comment

the GS in KiwiGS pic had a mixed weekend. Led the first pre 82 race at Teretonga on Sat, finished 4th behind a Nico Bakker Honda, an RG500 Suzuki and a very well sorted GS1000. Combination of fuel and coil probs slowed him in the 2d race to the tail of the leading bunch - 6th.

Wyndham - qualified 3rd then more coil probs so after trying to sort it, parked it up and concentrated on his pre 89 Yamaha, 3 wins from 3 starts.

Next year it will be different....but they all say that.

Nice to meet Shane and his boys but I was too busy helping run the meeting to have time to be as social as I'd have liked.

Comment

Working...
                    X