Norton to MotoGP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norton to MotoGP?

It appears that Norton has asked Dorna for 2 grid spots for 2012, when MotoGP returns to 1000cc and allows production based engines

They will need to have something more modern that the updated Dreer bike they currently have

If the point of the 2012 regulations was to see more manufacturers return to the MotoGP grid, the move is already looking like a success. Both BMW and Aprilia are linked to moves back to MotoGP - though mainly through privateer CRT team efforts, rather than as factory prototypes- and now, another manufacturer looks set to join the fold. For the German-language magazine Speedweek is reporting that the legendary English manufacturer Norton is set to enter a two-man team for 2012.

According to the veteran Austrian journalist Gunther Wiesinger, Norton has asked Dorna for two places on the 2012 grid, and Norton boss Stuart Garner has submitted a signed application to Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta to race when the MotoGP class returns to 1000cc. The MotoGP effort is part of a long-term marketing plan by Norton to change their image from classic motorcycles to modern sportsbike manufacturer, with plans to introduce a range of high-tech road bikes in the future. The Norton website confirms this intention, stating:

"Future development will also lead to the introduction of the all new modern motorcycles and will represent the ultimate expression of the Norton brand."

A return to premier class motorcycle racing is a logical step for Norton. The marque has one of the very longest traditions in motorcycle racing, starting from their domination of what was then called the Continental Circus in the 1930s, to being the mainstay of racing privateers with the single-cylinder Manx Norton from 1950 onwards, including a world championship with Geoff Duke in 1950. The Norton got the careers of many of the early greats off to a start, including Duke, Mike Hailwood, Jim Redman and Derek Minter. So enduring was the bike that it was still scoring world championship points as late as 1970.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

I wonder if this ^ is another attempt to bring their pneumatic-valve technology to market (if MotoGp rules permit that?). IIRC, at one point their plan was to apparently leap-frog the competition technologically, with F-1 style valve actuation, and market sport bikes with the ability to rev to around 18,000 rpm. Norton has changed hands about half a dozen times since then, and the project was shelved due to it's expense and complexity.
    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

2012 is going to be a big one .
      A couple of Nortons will certainly add a nice bit of spice .
      Now they need to find a couple of nutter Poms to ride them .
      Can't wait , although , next year should be a hoot as well .
      Go young Jorge ............

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

MotoGP before trying Superbike?

I don't understand why they don't try SBK first?
        Bill
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I'm surprised as I didn't think the "new" Norton had deep enough pockets to go racing. Do they even have bikes for sale yet?

Spyug

Comment

Google up Norton (I'm a bit dumb and don't know how to put up a link) and have a look at the NEW Commando 961 . Best looking bike available today in my humble opinion . Absolute horn tucker .
            An old codger (about my age) at work has out a deposit on one .

Cheers , Simon .
            Last edited by simon kuether; 12-08-2010, 11:47 AM.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
              I wonder if this ^ is another attempt to bring their pneumatic-valve technology to market (if MotoGp rules permit that?). IIRC, at one point their plan was to apparently leap-frog the competition technologically, with F-1 style valve actuation, and market sport bikes with the ability to rev to around 18,000 rpm. Norton has changed hands about half a dozen times since then, and the project was shelved due to it's expense and complexity.
              they have been using pneumatic valves for years, most of the top teams use them so i dont think it will be a problem.
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                Google up Norton (I'm a bit dumb and don't know how to put up a link) and have a look at the NEW Commando 961 . Best looking bike available today in my humble opinion . Absolute horn tucker .

Cheers , Simon .
                You're right, pretty nice looking bike. Very clean, simple, almost cafe.
                Other than the number of cylinders, about the only thing similar to the old ones is the badge.

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post

Cheers , Simon .
                  Discover your piece of British history with Norton Motorcycles! Manufactured in Britain since 1898. Find your new motorcycle today.

Obviously, the 961 will not be the bike they go racing with
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

But i think th older style is a little more attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
                      But i think th older style is a little more attractive.

....and considering the scenery, really hard to pass!

Comment

Not a chance against anybody, 'cept Harley or Triumph

After taking a took at the specifications: http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod..._961_sport.htm
                        I can see it's just a good looking retro bike, like the Triumph Thruxton.
                        But it's a PUSH ROD engine? More crude than Harley…
                        The best it could do in sanctioned racing is in AMA against Harley and Triumph, but a new class would have to be made up for retro twins. It would probably qualify for WERA vintage racing.
                        But a GS1000 race prepared for WERA vintage, would wipe up the floor with any of those bikes.
                        Bill
                        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 12-08-2010, 08:28 PM.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Norton won the Isle of Mann and the British Superbike championship with the Rotary in the 90's. The FIA would not let them in to race World Superbike.

The factory is talking about running those again as well.

A norton won Daytona Battle of the Twins in the 1988 with the 1976 Norton Cosworth Challenge engine which unfortunately was completed about the time that strikes at the Triumph factory put the company under.

http://atlascardsplus.com/%EF%BB%BF1...rton-cosworth/

Who knows. Its only money, but I have been a Norton guy since '69 when they were the quickest thing there was, including H1's and CB750's. I still have the '75 I bought new in '77.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The US distributor is about 4 miles away from me... he's a Triumph dealer. He has one in the shop.... I'd have one at half the price...

I can confirm they look great in the flesh. It's on a plinth so I didn't get to sit on it....
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it. If you look at the Britten, it's possible, but to have something ready for testing next December would be miraclous! Lot's of chasis guys in Moto2 so there is some potential in that group.

Toddk
                              1979 Suzuki GS1000always wanted one, 1983 Honda CB1100F Hot Rod(does that show my age), 1984 Kawasaki GPZ750(rain bike)

Comment

Working...
                              X