Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage, not fast enough for Track days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vintage, not fast enough for Track days?

It's a bummer, but the fact is most vintage bikes are too slow to be on the track with new bikes. So not many owners bring them. A race prepared GS1000 I'm sure would be fast enough, but plenty of doubt for a 750 or smaller.
    I wonder if there are track days for vintage and small displacement bikes, anybody know?
    Bill
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Over here the bikes are split into groups by ability , so you can chose what level you are comfortable with , as for 750 being to slow i have been on track with plenty of modern bikes and while they do have an advantage there are plenty who are painfully slow through the corners. If you are out with faster riders just hold your line on the straights and corners you should be fine

Comment

Vintage class at our track is 82 and older. Or newer if the model didn't change from 82.

Comment

Are you where?

Originally posted by still_bluenoser View Post
        Vintage class at our track is 82 and older. Or newer if the model didn't change from 82.
        Are you talking about track days or racing?
        Thanks.
        P.S. Please list your location in your profile so we can send terrorists, murderers and lawers.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Racing. Vintage class.

Comment

Originally posted by still_bluenoser View Post
            Vintage class at our track is 82 and older.
            Damn, when I reach 82 I dont think I will even be able to see the track......They should take the oldest guy and put him on the fastest bike. Then take the youngest guy and , well you get my meaning......Billy

Comment

GS1000 for track days, if it's in good mechanical condition, it should be a blast. It's a thousand CC motorcycle, it's going to be somewhat fast

Toddk
              1979 Suzuki GS1000always wanted one, 1983 Honda CB1100F Hot Rod(does that show my age), 1984 Kawasaki GPZ750(rain bike)

Comment

I have never done a track day on a motorcycle, but I have done lots of car club track days at Portland International Raceway with a 1965 Lotus Super Seven, and a 1968 Ford Cortina GT. Those are not fast cars, but I have lapped Aston Martins etc., and been lapped by Civics. There are a variety of speed groups and skill groups. It shouldn't be a problem to not have a fast bike.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I have been doing trackdays for quite a few years now and have seen a few old bikes turning laps amoungst the "crotch rocket" crowd. They are no different than a motard and most of the time the riders of the old bikes are quite skilled.

I keep saying that I'm going to take my gs550 out to the local road course, but each time I don't, taking my "crotch rocket" instead.... I think i'd push my old girl a little too much.

To anyone that is thinking about taking their bike to the track, go for it!

You can not beat the adrenaline rush.
                  1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Hey Bill, it's your Irish race correspondent here.Check out this GS, I admit that it's been slightly modified! but it should be fast enough for any track day. Go to www.classicmechanics.com, this is a magazine dedicated to older bikes from the late 60's to the late 80's I subscribe to this mag and there is also a US distributor for it if you want to get it.Last month they re-ran the original road test of the GS750 from the early 70's. Lastly MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours,
                    Johnny

Comment

Thanks Johnny!

Looks like a very cool rag!
                      That gs1000 looks great.
                      I'm considering putting a full vintage fairing on my next (next year, maybe), GS project. I see that a fiberglass duplicate fairing of the Heron F1 Suzuki's from the late '1970s is available from www.airtech-streamlining.com.
                      The Heron bikes raced in the TT, as I think that was a scheduled race in the F1 season. Probably raced in the NW 200 I'm sure as well.
                      Bill
                      Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 12-25-2010, 02:47 PM. Reason: JW Scotch & pecan pie…Yum

Comment

www.silverstonesuperbikes.co.uk/

What you NEED is one of these

please let me win lottery
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2010, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Wow! Humbling!

That's engineering, way to much for me. Way too much cash for sure, “Prices from £12,500”! (I'm in the £1,250 class.)
                          They are using the Heron F-1 fairings and paint design.
                          I would be happy to put those fairings on an early GSXR, and I'd be good to go fast.
                          Bill
                          Thanks for the link!
                          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 12-29-2010, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Think thats for a full bike...cheaper if you buy frame etc
                            Sure they came first and second in this years tt. They beat gsxr750f/g etc
                            beautiful bits of kit ...YES they are expensive but quality costs ..who wouldnt want a crosby etc f1 bike on the road (me if I win tonights lottery )
                            And a R1 or gsxr1000 over here is £9k anyway
                            steve
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2010, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Magazine search

Originally posted by Johnny Drummond View Post
                              Hey Bill, it's your Irish race correspondent here.Check out this GS, I admit that it's been slightly modified! but it should be fast enough for any track day. Go to www.classicmechanics.com, this is a magazine dedicated to older bikes from the late 60's to the late 80's I subscribe to this mag and there is also a US distributor for it if you want to get it.Last month they re-ran the original road test of the GS750 from the early 70's. Lastly MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours,
                              Johnny
                              Ooo, ta, mate, have been looking for this website and magazine, not listed under 'British motorcycle magazines' off of Bing, and I just knew from 'hand-me-downs' that it existed. Great read, lots of interesting info.
                              sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                              '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                              '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                              '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                              '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                              '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                              '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                              '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                              '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                              '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Working...
                              X