Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Racing essential reading

Hi Guys,
    Here are some books for anyone interested in the history of racing on road circuits here in Ireland.This is for those of you around the world who are interested but need some background history(and mabye a reason for a holiday!) into the sport,you should find them on Amazon booksellers.Enjoy!.

Beautiful Danger:-author Stephen Davidson

Days of Thunder:-author alastair McCook

The Power and the Glory:the history of the North West 200:-author Alistair McCook

Between the Hedges: a celebration of 40 years of road racing:-author Stephen Davidson

They range in price from £18-25 a little expensive I know but well worth the money. Johnny

I checked Amazon for "Between the Hedges". It's due to be relaesed Jan 28 and their taking pre-orders. $23.99, free shiping. The wife got a sugestion for my Feb. birthday present. We'll see.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on good reads. Interesting subject, I searched for any other threads on good bike books to read and didn't find any. I for one would sure like some heads up on good bike reads. Personally I just finished "The long way down". Not a skills book but a great read and I would definitely recommend it. I'm grabbing David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling". I started reading "Twist of the Wrist" by David Code but it's about track racing and I just couldn't get into it, so I'll come back to that one.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Two books just released in New Zealand are;

Croz, Larrikin biker. This is the biography of Graeme Crosby who probably needs no introduction up to about 1982. . Famous quote is "which way does the track go and what's the lap record". Just got an autographed copy and spent some time talking to the man about the old days.

Kim, the Kiwi on the Konig. This is the story of Kim Newcombe who put an outboard motor in a bike frame and beat the factories. Unfortunately he was killed in 1973 but still came second in the world 500 championship although he didn't contest the the last couple of meetings. This book is written by Tim Hannah who is also the author of "John Britten" and "One good run - the legend of Burt Munro". They are also excellent reading with a lot of technical information about the development of their bikes.
        • Suzuki GS1100 for racing
        • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
        • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
        • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

Keith Code: A Twist of the Wrist, A Twist of the Wrist 2, Soft Science of Roadracing Motorcycles.

Comment

Four wheel racers testimate…

My favorite auto racing book has to be:
            The Technique of Motor Racing, by Piero Taruffi, pb. 1959
            Classic racing concepts that can be applied to motorcycle racing as well. Fabulous photos from 1940's and 50's Grand Prix racing.
            Bill
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
            X