where's the carb synch adjustment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where's the carb synch adjustment?

I figured out how to hook my carb synch gauge to the two carbs on my 01 GS500, but I don't see where to make the adjustment. The Adobe manual copy I have is hard to see. There's a phillips screw above the idle adjuster that looks like it might be it. Anyone know?
    Thanks,
    Rick

Oh boy…

To sync the carbs, there's a screw between each carb on the throttle shafts. You can see their little heads when you look down from above. First you adjust the one on the right to sync those 2 carbs, then the one on the left to do that pair, finally adjust the one in the middle to sync the 2 pairs.
    You can prop up the tank with a board to access the screws without having to disconnect the tank.
    Bill
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 01-16-2011, 09:04 PM.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Bill, thanks, but this is a parallel twin, just two carbs. I see one screw on the throttle shaft, but that's all. That must be it and I'm going to try it in the morning. Thanks!

Comment

Hey Rick,
        Duh, I misread your bike description, I thought you wrote GS-550.
        But with only 2 carbs then it would only need one screw to sync the pair.
        Bill
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I'll have to check my 450 carbs to see if there's any similarities, but I believe the US models have the mixture screws covered with a plate for emissions control, whereas over here in Aus they're exposed.

Have a look at the GS450 carb rebuild guide Flaming Chainsaws did up (BassCliff's site) and see if that helps you any.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Pete, it's not the mixture screws. There is a separate adjustment to synch both carbs to the same vacuum. I did it this morning and it is the phillips screw on the throttle shaft running between the carbs. Easy fix.
            Thanks!

Comment

Aaaaah I see! Mate I was way off, oh well, thanks for the correction
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by wera racer View Post
                I figured out how to hook my carb synch gauge to the two carbs on my 01 GS500, but I don't see where to make the adjustment. The Adobe manual copy I have is hard to see. There's a phillips screw above the idle adjuster that looks like it might be it. Anyone know?
                Thanks,
                Rick
                Where did you hook up the vacuum line from the carb synch tool? At the red arrow in my pic? On my '93 GS500E, I see a rubber cap on the top plate of both carbs(engine side) held in place with a clip. I assume the carbtune hose would just slide on without any brass adapter needed like the 4 cyl GSes. Also a pic of the screw for adjusting would be helpful. thanks.

Comment

Thats the one. And the screw is right next to the throttle cable attachment.

Comment

After putting 90 miles today for my commute (took the long way home), I had to do something about getting some more power out of this twin. Propped up the tank and pulled those rubber caps off and hooked up my carb synch hoses. Bike was all warmed up from the 55 mile country ride home. Carbs were off some, and after a few minutes of fiddling, I got them fairly well balanced. Took it out for a test run and noticed a difference right away. Not major, as the bike is no powerhouse, but better response. Lot easier doing the synch with this bike, not just 2 cyl but hooking it all up and getting access without removing the tank.
                    Next job for another day will be to check the valve clearances and go back and check the synch again.

Comment

Working...
                    X