Irish Road Racing Clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish Road Racing Clips

As a spin off from Buffalo Bill's Isle Of Man thread, I thought a spot for Irish Road Racing clips would be good for opening your eyes and making you lean side to side in your computer chair.

We really should start with Joey Dunlop.
    26 times winner at the Isle of Man.
    A shy man with a look that could drop a stupid reporter at 20 paces.

Anyway, if you want to see what the course looks like, then there is no better than Joey to show it.

This is a series of 3 clips showing an onboard lap with Joey from 1983.

Part 1
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Part 2
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Part 3

Killalane

Comment

The likes of Joey, his brother Robert, Merv Robinson and Frank Kennedy are gone now.
      Like so many others, they lost their lives in the pursuit of speed.
      But there is a new generation filling the gaps.

Comment

The BBC had some high speed cameras out there last year.
        Ignore the soppy music some poor Youtuber has put over the top of this..
        Just watch it with the sound down whilst making slo-mo revving sounds yourself.

Comment

So, I've started this off and upped my post count at the same time..

Have at it you lot..
          Got a favourite clip?
          Found one that makes your eyes boggle?
          Can you understand a word that Hector Neil says? (Youtube him, he's there)

Share it with those that know and educate the ones who need to know.

Comment

Great videos, thanks for posting.....but what language is he talking??
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              Great videos, thanks for posting.....but what language is he talking??
              Who?
              Which video?
              Actually, that doesn't matter.
              They are all speaking English.
              Sort of..
              Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2011, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Cheers for the links, that is some madness there for sure! Those guys definitely have (had) balls of cast iron.

Cam Donald is definitely one of my modern day heroes for sure.

One thing I like also is how AMCN occassionally has a shot from Knockhill or some other circuit the BSB circus visits where someone is leaning into a corner, yet has two wheels off the ground over a hump.

Of course Google Images isn't helping me find an example right now...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

You mean like Josh Brookes at Cadwell Park?

..and the video :

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                    That course isn't exactly wide. It reminds me a bit of a place around here called Chicken Hollow Road.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Dogma, most of the small club circuits are just that.
                      Narrow gutted country lanes with pot holes and dirt on the corners.

Comment

The corner workers must sweep?

They don't sweep the corners before the racing? I'm sure they do.
                        The country roads I ride are just so bad. I can never trust them to be clean, so I can never look through a corner, instead I have to look down at the pavement for trouble.
                        Just amazed the citizens organize racing on public roads, even if it brings in tourist money.
                        I read some of the 2010 Irish races were canceled for lack of funding, recession blues.
                        Any word of canceled races for this year?

Thanks so much for these videos Leigh.
                        Bill
                        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 01-28-2011, 11:51 PM.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I would love to join such a club. There are so many places I'd love to see turned into a closed course for a day or weekend.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Bill, on quite a few of the racing videos I have you can clearly see that triangle of gravel that forms in T junctions of roads. They've only recently started putting up padding and air fences. Before that you used hedges and someone's front garden to stop you.
                            One of the courses has a medieval castle on the outside of a 90 degree corner. You don't want to get that one wrong.

Dogma, I reckon all of us have plotted out our own 'Private Testing Course' at some time.

Comment

You mean like Josh Brookes at Cadwell Park?

..and the video :
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYx9DoYhCIU
                              Yup, exactly what I meant! Couldn't find an image like that for the life of me...

I've always liked Brookesy's riding and it looks like he's finally cracked a good ride last year and hopefully this year again.

But doing stuff like that, man I'd be leaving everyone behind me a great big smelly mess if I tried something like that! Either that or just flat out kill myself...
                              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                              X