Leigh Goes To The Island Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leigh Goes To The Island Classic

As some of you have picked up, the annual Island Classic was on the other weekend.
    It's a meeting that I am grimly determined to attend year after year.
    It's all for bikes from the 80's back..
    It attracts former and current world champions from various forms of racing.
    Matchless, Norton, Triumph, Vincent face off with the banshee 2 strokes from Japan.
    Big bore fours from the 80s..
    250cc hand grenades, sidecars..

This has the lot.

The pits are open all weekend for anyone to wander through. The riders are all willing to have a chat.

Robbie Phillis, Mal Campbell, Wayne Gardner, Shaun Giles, Steve Martin, Craig McMartin, Ryan Farquar, Jeremy McWilliams, Cam Donald.. The list rolls on.
    I met and chatted with Stan Woods last year.

This was also my first time back on a bike since last April due to a broken collar bone I received in a truck crash.

Anyways, I've thrown a few thoughts, some absent-minded waffling and some photos together on a blog.

I hope you enjoy my mindless ramblings..

Late April 2010, I think. That sounds about right. The crash was in early May and I haven't ridden since. Not that I haven't wanted to, it...

Oh..
    More photos to come..
    The sidecars and a wander through the pits..

Comment

Leigh is just a lucky lucky bastard, I had to choose between World Superbikes and Island classic this year and went for WSB. Next year I will be living 450km closer and doing my homework for a tilt at one of the smaller capacity classes at the 2013 Classic.

Comment

Did you happen to get any photos of Fyffy's big crash in turn 2 on his GSX? I'd love one to hang up at work!

Comment

In a flash of genius timing I managed to be on the opposite side of the track to every prang.

Comment

Dunger.. Yes, yes I am.
            I live an hour from the Island.
            I have a generous mate who lives there and opens his house to us reprobates for every meeting.

450 k's closer? Sounds like Horsham. I'll have to come over for a beer.
            It's only four and a bit hours from here..

Comment

I have an update to do on my 450 build, then I plan on experiencing some visual pleasure from said blog...

You're all just lucky bast*&ds to me... I can't see any way of getting down there for WSBK, MotoGP, or the Island Classic any time even remotely soon, although I do hope to get to one of them one day.

I need to try to get out to the paperclip for the Aussie superbikes this year, haven't gotten out there for years either.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

phillip island classic racing.....

hi guys NO i did not go but several nut cases from my yamaha xs650 club of australia went and were racing their xs650 and also their side car set ups ... several of the xs650 WON .. surprise surprise ... but apparently it was a great time down there .. with loverly weather ... and a drink or 2 regards david

Comment

Racing an XS650 would put a smile on your face, I guess.
                  I know that just riding one at that particular mark in the revs will.
                  That nickname was well earned.

Comment

Leigh I've now got some great photos of Fyffy's crash but I can't upload photos so if you send me an email I'll send them to you to put up.Fyffy wrecked his frame,seat,bars etc and broke a finger while Karl Corpe fractured a vertebrae in his back.That's racing.My email is rob.par@bigpond.com.

Comment

Jeez..
                      Was that on Sunday?
                      Up around Siberia to Hayshed?
                      There was a decent prang up that way while we were at Turn 1
                      You got an email coming mate..

Comment

Fantastic photos and a nice read. Thanks Leigh

Comment

No worries, mate.
                          I should have it finished by the weekend.

Comment

Thanks for the thread. Nice write up. A taste of down under on a winters day. Beer does save you.

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g
                            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks Charlie..
                              Feel free to go a-wandering through the blog.
                              It's pretty much my bike related adventures/disasters.

Comment

Working...
                              X