Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a GS450 1982

Hey everybody!
    i am new to this forum and new to working on bikes, but I recently picked up a 82 GS450L. The bike had one owner and he took amazing care of it until one day he rode it into his garage put the cover on where it sat for 9 years.

First thing I did was put a little oil in the chambers and check that the engine wasn't seized, the pistons moved fine and it had compression. Next thing I did was replaced the battery and it fired right up.

The clutch seemed to be stuck so I let it idle for a bit to try and get the oil to break it free with no luck. So I opened the clutch cover casing and separated the plates. (ruined the gasket in the process, anyone know of where to get one?) Then I put it all back together and tried to start it and all I hear is a clicking sound and the bike won't start.

I have a few few questions about parts and specs on the bike...
    1) Why wont the bike start?
    2) What diameter is the fork? any good swaps to lower the front end?
    3) What is the speedometer ratio?
    4) Where is a good place to locate the clutch cover gasket?

I am sure more will arise as I work on it but I got to get it running first.

Thanks for your time!
    -AJ

If it was running good before then I'm sure a wire got loose somewhere. Check to see if any wires got disconnected. Particularly in the starting system.

The diameter of the stock fork is 33 mm. You could get a GSXR front end. Check out this build thread.
    Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Speedometer ratio? I asked the same question. Check this thread.

And the clutch cover gasket. There are lots of places to get those. Bikebandit.com, partsshark.com, and even ebay.com just to name a few.

You said you ruined the clutch cover gasket? I wouldn't even run the bike until I get a gasket for that. Or else oil will leak all over your floor!

Welcome to the forum!

And would you look at that, another GS450 .

Comment

1) All kinds of possible reasons. I'm not a fan of just trying to get the bike running after a long down period, I believe in performing maintenance before trying to start it. I suggest a full carb rebuild, new O-rings inside the carbs and on the intake boots, new plugs, new airfilter, new oil, clean out the tank, ect, before trying to get the bike running.

2) 33mm forks. To lower the front end loosen the fork tube clamps and slide the forks upward and then tighten the clamps back down.

3) not sure. You might want to check the archives since this topic has come up before

4) Any dealer source for parts can get you a gasket. Google "suzuki motorcycle parts" - that will get you started, or search here since there are tons of links to various part sources.

Good luck and enjoy your bike.
      Last edited by Nessism; 02-04-2011, 12:12 AM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I get my parts from partshark. I have never pulled a clutch apart, but I wonder if you don't have something not quite right in the clutch assembly. Check your manual. ( Check Basscliff's site for manual) .......As someone told me once "Do the basic maintance!" After sitting 9 years it needs many thing done, such as.... carbs, valves adjusted, oil changed, electrical system cleaned up and more. You know it will run, now make run right. Good luck.

cg

P.s. Post up where you are at....some my offer help you sort things out.
        Last edited by Charlie G; 02-04-2011, 01:07 AM.
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Welcome to the madhouse, you have some good advise already, Basscliff will be along in short order to give you his world famous welcome, there you will find all the information you could ever wish for, and then of course the members here are the best GS brains in the business, just ask.
          There are a whole bunch of members here who are riding and wrenching on 450's.
          The clicking you hear is probably the starter solenoid, so heck to see why you are not getting power from the solenoid down to the starter.
          Not sure if the starter on the 450 has a little idler gear that mates it to the clutch drum, if so check that it is in place and has not dropped out, 450's owners, anyone??

Comment

I live in Honolulu. If anyone is around to lend a hand I would be more than thankful.

I definitely will need to work on the carbs after I change the intake. Oil and filter is a must. I have cleaned and coated the tank.

I looked at lowering the front end, but the bars seem to be in the way. I guess I could use a clip on system but 33mm clip on? I have never heard of it.

Thanks for all your help!
            I checked the wires under the seat and tank nothing appears to be loose or fried. hmmm...

@Flyboy "Not sure if the starter on the 450 has a little idler gear that mates it to the clutch drum"
            The clutch needs to be pulled in order for the bike to be started, is this what your referring to?
            Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2011, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, and it's good to see another 450 being revived.

What Flyboy's referring to isn't relevant on our 450's, so no need to worry about that. Our starter idler gear is behind the generator cover on the left side, not near the clutch on the right side.

I'm not near mine right now, but I believe there's an earth that attaches to one of the bolts on the right hand case cover (clutch cover), so you might want to check that out. If it's not earthing well, you may not be getting enough juice to turn the engine over with the starter.

I won't mention what's been mentioned earlier about maintenance, except to do it all. Good to see you've already started with the tank though.

If you need to test the starter motor outside the engine, you will need to remove the carbs and the cam chain tensioner to get it out.

The other thing I can think of is if the clutch is locked up solid, is the bike in gear? If it's in gear with a locked up clutch, that may be enough extra load to prevent the starter from cranking it over.

Worst case I can think is that the motor is now seized for some reason or that the starter has carked it.

The other option of course is that the charging circuit isn't charging the battery (common problem) and that it's now too flat to do anything other than power the starter solenoid.

Hope that's some help... keep us updated with how you go, and we'd also love to see some pic's
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Alright I think I figured it out, with your guys helps of course. There seems to just be corrosion in the that is preventing the starter from cranking the shaft.
                Thanks to all!

I had a question about replacing the controls on the bike... I want to "clean up" and up date the controls, does anybody know where I could find some?

Here is a picture...
                I played with lowering the front end, and using a clip on system for the bars.

Last edited by Guest; 02-05-2011, 07:07 PM.

Comment

These sites are confusing me...
                  will either of these work on my bike?

Suzuki motorcycles and scooters are going from strength to strength. If you own one then look no further than Wemoto to get all your motorcycle parts online.

This on is 1/4 down the page, states
                  1982 - GS 450 LZ

Comment

Are you in the US or UK? I'm guessing the UK by the links you're showing...

Go to www.alphasports.com (or any other dealer site with online fiche except Bike Bandit as they use their own part numbers) and find the correct OEM part number of what you need.

Then, either get the OEM one, or confirm if the after market one is the right one for yours.

Having said that, the picture in the first link does look like the right case cover gasket I just put in mine a few weeks back, but it's always best to be safe.

As far as modernising controls go, it's pretty much whatever you want that will fit, but probably later model GSXR controls are a good start. As long as they're 7/8 inch mounts for the 'bars you should be right, although you will probably have to fiddle with plugs and things.

I'm contemplating hunting down a late model GSXR left control so I can use the choke lever that's on there and hook up a 'bar mounted choke as I hate having to reach down to the carbs to adjust it.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Pete, he is in Honolulu, so I guess U.S suppliers is the way forward.

Nice looking bike you have there, will be watching the progress.

Comment

This is where I get most of my parts

OEM Parts for Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Can-Am, Sea-Doo, and Vanderhall

I have gotten some deals here as well

I usually check several suppliers and compare prices. Between these two suppliers and Z-1 http://www.z1enterprises.com/site-guide.aspx you get most of what you need.

For carb o-rings, a member sells them at cycleorings.com (I think thats it?)
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Great! I got the gasket ordered and been looking at some new controls for the bike. I think I will be ordering them from k&s, they got a few, simple looking, ones.

I am curious if anyone on here has put pods on a GS450?
                          I know there is alot of people don't like them, in performance...
                          Any suggestions beside K&N?
                          If so, what size jets did you install in your carbs?
                          Or is there a guide online I can look up?

Thanks again for all your help!

Comment

The only filters you should get are K&N or APE. The filters on Mike's XS are good too from what I hear.

As for me, I've bought EMGO filters. They are temporary until I can afford the better brands.

The EMGO's work good for me as long as you shim the needles. I also put some tape on the filters to restrict air flow. No flat spots and runs (ran) great .

As for get sizes, I have no idea. Any one know? I'd like to know myself.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. WoodenPlanks,

Wow, I don't think we have any other members in Hawaii. I'd love to ride out for a visit sometime.

Let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X