Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you all get into racing?

Hey guys,

I'm an early rider, and I'm looking to get into racing in the next couple years(not dragging, that's not for me). Obviously, I'm in no rush(18, and in college. There's no way I can afford it right now), but I'm wondering how all of you got involved.

I also figured this could be a good place for you all to share stories of when you started, how you started, where you go, and how long you've been doing it.

So post up with what got you into tracking with your bikes!

How don't matter, it's why…

It's not so much how, because a little research and you can find out how to get started.
    For me it was all about why I needed to race. I think there's a big difference between liking to ride or drive, and having to go all out or bust.
    You can never get closer than 50% of your's, a car's or a bike's race potential on any public street. Only on a track can you let it out, all the way. Just as you can never run full out, or play a ball game on a crowded sidewalk.
    There's a big difference in our brains, it has a racing appetite that must be satisfied, and for me it's been there since before memory.
    Bill
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I started with box stock motorcycle roadracing at DonnyBrook (Nee Brainard) in 1971. Parents had a weekend cabin less than a mile from the track and I had a 1966 Kawasaki 250 A-1. Found I had a need for speed and moved up to an A-1R boyracer. Started racing Karts, then moved to power boats and stockcars.
      A guy a couple blocks over was a touring nitro dragracer, and he took pity on me and started taking me with him and his family on weekends to "local" tracks. The bikes looked funner than the cars , so that's where I ended up. 40 years later I'm still dragracing...jack

Comment

Pretty much in the same seat as me. I'm 22 years and I'm going to college soon.

I was pretty much born on a motorcycle so there has always been an interest in it for me. I've followed MotoGP and other championships longer than I can remember so naturally I was curious about racing when I got my own bike and license.

Being a big fan of 80's superbikes I decided to turn my own GS1150 into a superbike. After that it was just a matter of taking it to the track and give it a good flogging.

As Bill said, there's no way you can appreciate a motorcycle's performance to the max on the street. It's just not safe. For me it's unthinkable to take a corner at 100mph and drag my knee on the street. I could do it but nothing good can come out of it. There's no thrill in being scared when riding.

But, there's a hell lot of thrill in being able to ride on the edge comfortably. Sooner or later you'll find yourself in the zone, humming in tune with the engine revs and thinking "Life sure is beautiful.".

There's also a lot to learn on the track. The way you repeat cornering techniques over and over again is almost impossible to do on the street. Four days worth of riding on the track can make up for years of riding on the road (when it comes to learning). But not only that, you learn to control the bike much better as well.

I've only been to four trackdays so far and it's been a great experience for me. You meet some great people too.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-13-2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post
          Pretty much in the same seat as me. I'm 22 years and I'm going to college soon.

I was pretty much born on a motorcycle so there has always been an interest in it for me. I've followed MotoGP and other championships longer than I can remember so naturally I was curious about racing when I got my own bike and license.

Being a big fan of 80's superbikes I decided to turn my own GS1150 into a superbike. After that it was just a matter of taking it to the track and give it a good flogging.

As Bill said, there's no way you can appreciate a motorcycle's performance to the max on the street. It's just not safe. For me it's unthinkable to take a corner at 100mph and drag my knee on the street. I could do it but nothing good can come out of it. There's no thrill in being scared when riding.

But, there's a hell lot of thrill in being able to ride on the edge comfortably. Sooner or later you'll find yourself in the zone, humming in tune with the engine revs and thinking "Life sure is beautiful.".

There's also a lot to learn on the track. The way you repeat cornering techniques over and over again is almost impossible to do on the street. Four days worth of riding on the track can make up for years of riding on the road (when it comes to learning). But not only that, you learn to control the bike much better as well.

I've only been to four trackdays so far and it's been a great experience for me. You meet some great people too.
          I'm really the first in my family to be any sort of automotive enthusiast. I've followed MotoGP for as long as I can remember, and I've always wanted to get into racing. I rode a dirtbike for a few years, just out on the trails, but I've never actually competed, and I'd love to.

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          It's not so much how, because a little research and you can find out how to get started.
          For me it was all about why I needed to race. I think there's a big difference between liking to ride or drive, and having to go all out or bust.
          You can never get closer than 50% of your's, a car's or a bike's race potential on any public street. Only on a track can you let it out, all the way. Just as you can never run full out, or play a ball game on a crowded sidewalk.
          There's a big difference in our brains, it has a racing appetite that must be satisfied, and for me it's been there since before memory.
          Bill
          I actually plan on owning a less powerful bike that is strictly for street travel, and then a dedicated track bike that's everything I need to throw down on the track. That way I'm not so tempted to gun it through the streets.

Comment

My step dad forced me to race!
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

He looks happy to me.

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post

Such a mean old man!
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I like the guy on the scooter in the background.

Comment

I started racing in go karts as a kid. I grew up next to a racetrack (Pacific Raceways) and went there when ever I could. I was around 11 years old at that time.

Then I moved on to dirt bikes 2 years later. But I quit after I crashed the bike in to a ditch, crippling the front end.

3 years later, I moved on to cars. I got my first car, 1993 Toyota MR2, and used that to race a little at Pacific Raceways. This car has been built up to 540 HP to the rear wheel and weighs about 2,000 lbs. The cosmetics were mostly stock. But unfortunately last year, I blew the tranny and clutch racing the monstrous Ford GT40!

After that I just bought another car, a 1974 Chevy Nova and a 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS. The Nova was a drag car but now it just sits. I was never a fan of American muscle. I was always about the Japanese cars.

So with my 1986 Corolla, I have started drifting. The shop is full of tires! I am currently getting the Corolla prepped for drift season.

Lastly, my GS450L. I only went to the track with it twice but it was kinda embarrassing riding on the track on a cruiser style bike . Which is the reason why I have decided to build a cafe racer style bike.

I see that racing will have a lot to do with my future .

Comment

For me it was something I always wanted to do. I've followed roadracing from the mid seventies. I then bought a brand new GS750 in 1983 and wanted to race it at Loudon, but that did not happen . Life happened, got married, had kids , well the kids have grown up and the wife gave in and now I am finaly racing, not as fast or young and agill as I could have been but doing it and loving it. I have 2 race bikes , 99 sv650 and a 87 ex 500 . The cost can be cheap depending on what you want to get out of it. But mind you if you want to go fast the cost goes up meaning ''The EX cheap fun 4 race, 4 practice, weekend, 1 set of tires a year = 1:28 lap times' or " The SV more expensive 4 race, 4 practice weekend 1 set of tires per weekend =1:18 lap times plus the bike was alot more money to build.
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I knew it! First time I met you I could smell that adrenaline in you Charlie....or maybe that was the bottle of Scotch you were hiding?? oh well what ever it was it's a good picture anyways.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                        I knew it! First time I met you I could smell that adrenaline in you Charlie....or maybe that was the bottle of Scotch you were hiding?? oh well what ever it was it's a good picture anyways.
                        You've guessed my secret of speed. The little flask of "Crown Royal" is hidden in my right leg pants cuff.
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

It's just for the adrenaline.

And fun.

And tinkering on the bike.

And the wife stays at home (errr...mostly)

Comment

Anyone here racing Supermoto?

Comment

too fast for the public

I spent too much time in county lock up for my riding techniques. On more than one occasion. In more than one state. I decided I want to get seriously fast and NOT GET IN TROUBLE. Street racing only has 2 outcomes if you don't quit before you find out what they are.

I decided to go racing iunstead. I was only crew personel for years. Late Model Stockers, Legends, 3/4 midgets, CCS road racing , Desert Style , Bonneville Top Speed , Outdoor Motocross , Jet skiis , I like competition. I have a high threshold for THRILL.

I'm into Bracket drag racing now. I have a license, I have the gear. I love the mis-concept that the faster bike/car wins. Something about the clock and the constant of time as a factor is the attraction for me. Easy Clean Fun. Loads of great times off the track but on the track grounds. Mopeds golf carts,fireworks, fellowship community etc.... it's the only way to change from a squid to a motor athlete.

W.O.T. slick tire launch with wheelie bars has to be the hugest G pull I have ever felt - ON LAND. - that is #2 reason to race.

#3 did I say NO COPS and you can go as fast as you can handle.
                              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                              X