Clutch seems to hard to pull 1985 gs450l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch seems to hard to pull 1985 gs450l

I Recently purchased a 85 gs450l when purchased the pivot ( pushes on the clutch rod) was broken, brought it home put the new one in messed around with it a little got everything adjusted to what i thought was correct, bike moves clutch seems to ba operating fine, the lever just seems far to hard to press in, with the case cover removed it was very east to operate which leads me to think there is nothing wrong with the cable, I know very little history on this bike but the previous owner mentioned that the clutch springs and discs were recently replaced it has just over 10k miles on it. any Ideas on what could be wrong? are the clutches on these bikes normally very dificult to operate?

Thanks

Replaced with new springs does not assure they are the correct ones.
    take offf the clutch cover and take a look at things and compare spring height and other specs as per tha manual on basscliff's website.

Comment

You can actually adjust how easy or hard it is to pull the clutch handle. Follow the clutch cable and you should end up at the top of the chain/sprocket cover. Look at where the cable runs through the cover. See that nut? Loosen it then try tightening the the nut on the cable. Did that make sense? Lol, I'm not very good at explaining things.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
        You can actually adjust how easy or hard it is to pull the clutch handle. Follow the clutch cable and you should end up at the top of the chain/sprocket cover. Look at where the cable runs through the cover. See that nut? Loosen it then try tightening the the nut on the cable. Did that make sense? Lol, I'm not very good at explaining things.

Thats just gonna adjust how long the cable is though correct? so it should affect at what point my clutch releases i assume? ill give it a try, Just does not make mechanical sense to me,

also Sie Motorräder can you think of anything i could have possible messed up to cause this well replacing that screw type device that pushs on the clutch rod? if neither of these work, I will probably crack the case later this week and messure the clutch springs.

Comment

Originally posted by dan0688 View Post
          Thats just gonna adjust how long the cable is though correct? so it should affect at what point my clutch releases i assume? ill give it a try, Just does not make mechanical sense to me,

also Sie Motorräder can you think of anything i could have possible messed up to cause this well replacing that screw type device that pushs on the clutch rod? if neither of these work, I will probably crack the case later this week and messure the clutch springs.
          It's worth a try. Try it out and we'll see what happens. Hopefully it will as easy as that instead of having to tear through the engine.

Comment

Hi dan:

I would download the manual and perfomr the clutch adjustment procedure as per Suzuki as Flamingchainsaws suggests. Its may be the key. The PO may ever have had a manual or anything and tried to fiddle with it.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the cable? Its mechanical not hydraulic, for all you know the cable could have worn a groove inside the housing or splintered from lack of lubrication which is 9 out of 10 times the problem especially if everythings adjusted and you have proper play.

I'd suggest buy a new one (for ease of mind anyways, don't really want that to break on a ride do you) and eliminate that as the cause IF (which I doubt) it still does it with everything adjusted.

Comment

Ill order a new cable and try that, although if back off the adjustment of the clutch so its not pushing on the rod the clutch lever is very easy to move, I have a clymer manual for the bike I dont see a clutch adjustment procedure, where would i find a suzuki procedure?

Thanks everyone for all the help

Comment

Ill order a new cable and try that, although if back off the adjustment of the clutch so its not pushing on the rod the clutch lever is very easy to move, I have a clymer manual for the bike I dont see a clutch adjustment procedure, where would i find a suzuki procedure?

Thanks everyone for all the help

I see that Basscliff has the Hayne's manual for your bike and not the Suzuki OEM. I will dload and take a look as I have a fast connecction.

I will try and snag the pertinent information and post it.

Comment

found the clutch adjustment instructions in my manual im gonna go try it now

Comment

Just completed the clutch adjustment as per the manual clutch is still verry dificult to engage although it seems to have made finding neutral easier so i feel that i gained something... but im gonna try a new cable as I think Ranger brought up some very valid points

Comment

Its in the hayne's as well it is a bit vague in that manual though.
                        Routing and lubrication of the cable are listed as the main factors in hard pull. You mentioned that it ws an easy pull with the sprocket cover removed? It may be binding.

Comment

any suggestions as to what brand of cable or where to get it from? or should anything do?

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Motorräder View Post
                            Its in the hayne's as well it is a bit vague in that manual though.
                            Routing and lubrication of the cable are listed as the main factors in hard pull. You mentioned that it ws an easy pull with the sprocket cover removed? It may be binding.
                            yes i agree, and yes the pull was easy with the cover removed.

Comment

although i question why did the part i had to replace break? is there something wrong that caused that...

Comment

Working...
                              X