450l with a knock of some kind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450l with a knock of some kind

i keep hearing a knock of some sort coming from what sound's like the left side. my crappy video didnt pick up the noise... the knock only comes when it is warm. so my curiosity got the better of me today and i took the oil pan off. and this is what i found.

the flakes are of aluminum i believe they aren't magnetic. so i was wondering what you all thought? i am thinking the wrist pin is floating around and catching something after it heats up..
    what do you think it could be before i tear it all down and just look?

r00ster

I haven't any idea, but then I'm not an expert. It dosen't look good. I hope someone pops in says it's something simple. Wonder what a clutch basket is made of and if it could get chewded up?

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
      I haven't any idea, but then I'm not an expert. It dosen't look good. I hope someone pops in says it's something simple. Wonder what a clutch basket is made of and if it could get chewded up?

cg
      i ain't no expert either, i know them shavings don't look good. i took the side covers off and all looks good to me. there is no obvious marks or that any thing is loose. there wasn't any shavings in either of the side covers just in the pan.
      here is my clutch...

and the stator...

does any one else have any ideas where this metal could be coming from? it is not magnetic so i think i can assume its not a bearing, but like i said i am no expert by any far stretch of my imagination...

thanks

r00ster

Comment

Rooster,

You might want to post a thread in another section , as not as many people wander through the 2 cylinder area. The picture of the pan is not real clear, can you get a better one up?

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

It's got to be bearings, either from the cam bearing or caps or the mains. Gears and things are magnetic, pistons don't usually shred like that and still run well. This engine has plain bearings on the crank, yes?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            It's got to be bearings, either from the cam bearing or caps or the mains. Gears and things are magnetic, pistons don't usually shred like that and still run well. This engine has plain bearings on the crank, yes?
            Yes, plain bearings.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g

Comment

Were you able to isolate the knock to an area of the engine? Other than just generally the left side I mean...

If the wrist pin was floating around, I would imagine that would do more than just knock, but I may be wrong.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Rooster,

You might want to post a thread in another section , as not as many people wander through the 2 cylinder area. The picture of the pan is not real clear, can you get a better one up?

cg

here are some hopefully better pic's of the pan.

@pete
                it was loudest on the stator cover... it could be heard from the clutch cover and valve cover but not as loud as the stator cover...
                you are probably right about the wrist pin idea i had... some times i throw ideas around with out thinking about them first...;-)

@tkent02
                i was hoping it wasn't bearings... guess i will have to tear it down and see witch ones... i am assuming it's the caps or mains because there was no metal up top when i adjusted the shims...

thanks guy's
                r00ster

Comment

Hmmmm... only two things in behind the stator cover there... crankshaft and counter balance shaft.

If that's where the noise is from I'm afraid your going to have to start pulling it apart...

sigpic

Comment

well i tore it apart, and the left connecting rod bearing had spun...:-(

here is a pic the one on the left is from the left connecting rod and the one on the right is you guessed it is the right connecting rod bearing...

as you can tell i am not the greatest photographer, but you can see a lip on the left bearing where it was banging around...

Comment

Ouch! That don't look good... but at least you found it!

sigpic

Comment

rOOster,

Are you going to get new bearings and fix it up?

cg
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g

Comment

rOOster,

Are you going to get new bearings and fix it up?

cg
                          yeah...i'm going to... might take a couple weeks to get everything together... until then i am going to clean and paint a few things... try my hand at polishing the side covers, and get a new cross over pipe made for my exhaust. hopefully by then i can put it back together...;-)

r00ster

Comment

Do all your O rings and oil seals at the same time, replacing those 30 year old ones now will save you trouble down the track

Oh, and use an OEM base gasket!

sigpic

Comment

Pay attention to the oil pump and passages, make sure oil is getting every place it's supposed to. Something caused the old bearings to fail, it would be a shame if the same problem caused the new ones to fail right away.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X