gs425 throttle cables.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs425 throttle cables.

As I was continuing to sort out the old bike I noticed there was an extra mounting point for what appeared to be a second throttle cable on the carbs. The throttle was only connected to the forward mounting point (red arrow) and had a single cable going all the way back up to the throttle. The second cable (blue arrow) is missing from my bike but there are wear marks indicating it had been there at one time (or the bracket between the carbs is not original to this bike. However, there is a mounting point on the carbs) I do not understand how this second cable would function unless it is pushing while the main cable is pulling. Photo is from the clymers manual showing two cables. any thoughts?

79 gs425

Originally posted by phxgs425 View Post
    As I was continuing to sort out the old bike I noticed there was an extra mounting point for what appeared to be a second throttle cable on the carbs. The throttle was only connected to the forward mounting point (red arrow) and had a single cable going all the way back up to the throttle. The second cable (blue arrow) is missing from my bike but there are wear marks indicating it had been there at one time (or the bracket between the carbs is not original to this bike. However, there is a mounting point on the carbs) I do not understand how this second cable would function unless it is pushing while the main cable is pulling. Photo is from the clymers manual showing two cables. any thoughts?

79 gs425

It works exactly like you discribed, although more as a safety measure if the throttle sticks you can manually close the throttle
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Cables, like chains and ropes, have a very hard time pushing.

The second cable can only pull, and it does so when the throttle is being closed.

As hjfisk mentioned it was considered a safety feature in case the throttle got stuck.

It was very common on the earlier VM carbs, but not seen very often on the BS-series CV carbs.
      I ride many bikes.
      Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Working...
      X