Question for all the GS racers here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for all the GS racers here...

So I'm converting my GS1000 to be a trackbike for some roadrace-style trackdays at Miller Motorsports Park. Non-competitive; just going out and having fun while spinning some laps.

I'm removing the street gear like the headlight, turn signals, tail light, rear fender etc. I'm also safety wiring the important bolts to keep them secured.

My question is: on a GS with no headlight, how and where on the bike do you place the electrical connections of the wiring harness that would normally be made in the headlight? I want to make sure they stay secure and are not exposed to the elements.

Thanks for any suggestions and insight!

maybe keep the bucket with the wires in it and make a number board to secure on the front
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Guess I'd opt for something like Agemax suggested or try to tuck the loose wires in under the tank.

Comment

Don't make it hard…

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        maybe keep the bucket with the wires in it and make a number board to secure on the front
        That makes a lot of sense. You can just put a painted metal disc in place of the glass fixture. That will make it easy to change it back to street use.
        I cut out and shaped a wooden insert to take the place of the lamp for my GSX750F track bike. The front lamp retails new for $180. For the tail light lens, I just fashioned some folded aluminum sheet, the plastic lens retails for $90.
        If I have little crash, I'm only out a piece of wood or aluminum.
        Bill
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

how serious are you getting? in the first decision to be made.

remove it all. mount the essentials on a plate under the seat . cheap and easy to do. and you'll shave off 7 almost 10 pounds

zip tye the handle bar wire looms to the bars out of the way.

I got tired of changing my street bike to a track bike , so I bought a street only one so I can save the hour and a half switching crap over and back.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Baatfam had some kind of fake fibreglass headlight on his drag bike....
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Moving the wire bundle backwards sounds good in theory but the stock harness bundle has takes outs for the gauges and ignition switch up front. I'd keep the bucket unless you are not using the stock pieces, in which case it may be easier to pick up a spare wire harness and strip out all the wires you are not going to use.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Keep the stock headlight bucket, put all the wires inside it, & put a number plate in front of the bucket. That's how we did it 30 years ago & it still works that way today! Ray.

Comment

If you are only going to do a track day once in a while do as RapidRay suggests, but if you plan on doing them frequently it is real easy to build another wiring loom and install it when you take your good fuel tank off to put the track tank on.
                  • Suzuki GS1100 for racing
                  • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
                  • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
                  • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

Working...
                  X