Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas (Baja)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas (Baja)

A good friend of mine turns 40 this year & to celebrate he wants to ride the length of the Baja Peninsula.

We're planning to go in June & will mostly be riding Mex 1 as we don't have enough time to switch it up too much but we do plan some "off road" to get down to the nice beaches etc.

I posted here for a couple of reasons:

1. Anyone done it recently & can offer any hints?

2. Any thoughts or advice on "adventurising" the Skunk (or ideas for a cheap -ish more suitable bike appreciated)

I guess if I get another bike one of mine will have to go... that means moving on the GS750 so if anyone has something they want to trade on etc let me know.

I'll also be looking for another bike for a friend of mine coming over to ride with us.

Currently my thinking is in the realms of: KLR, DR650, XL650 or XT600. Other options are: KTM LC4 or adventure, BMW 650, V strom but a lot is going to come down to price I guess.

Dan

P.s. Yes I know what's going on in Mexico - I'm not stupid & have done a lot of research.... Unless you live there I really don't want to hear about the political situation. Thanks
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

KLR 650 is not much lighter than your GS, the DR is a far superior machine as are the others on your list.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've been a driver for a ride from here to San Quintin near the elbow of the baja pen, and went down to Mazatlan a few weeks ago. Roads are really rough from water that leaked out of all the canals during the earthquakes that caused washing and pot holes.

You might benefit from entering at the Yuma crossing since you'll be on 2 wheels unless you have some off road capabilities, every time I've driven to Cabo was in my truck crossing Federal 3 up top to avoid back tracking down south and it was extremely rough.

EDIT: Nevermind just saw you'll have off road abilities.

You might want to google earth Mex Fed 3 and see what works for you. The route it takes total isn't very scenic but is practical if you're wanting to get to Cabo smoothly and away from all the trouble areas.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2011, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        KLR 650 is not much lighter than your GS, the DR is a far superior machine as are the others on your list.
        It's about 60lb+ lighter than the 1000..... I agree the others are superior machines. Availability round here is a little tough right now it seems, I'm looking!

1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          It's about 60lb+ lighter than the 1000..... I agree the others are superior machines. Availability round here is a little tough right now it seems, I'm looking!

KTMs are all over for sale down here right now. Just saw a 08 690 Enduro for $3200 across the street from my old high school

Comment

Nice... any links to that?

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

No but I can stop by and look at it on my way to class tonight. It looks like its in someone I know's property. I can tell it has a rally kit though which is real sweet. It was either $3200 or 3200 miles but I'm assuming $ because I didn't see any other numbers standing out. Real cheap for a KTM, I'll update it.

I would check out SD craigslist, especially East County which is where everyone lives that owns dirt bikes, supermoto or enduro. Basically desert toys or similar.

Comment

Thanks... appreciate it if you have time to stop by there.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I'll take a look at it for you.

For the time being,

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/2247743475.html - Has bags, etc. Plus a good description about BAJA. Looks to have a Baja tank as well that matches the OEM colors and accents. Plus I'd always be happy to go look at this for you.

We can throw a plate on one of my dirt toys and do a trade for your 750.

Comment

Working...
                  X