1984 GS 450L issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 GS 450L issues

Picked up an 84 450L a couple days ago. It would start after some choke and after quite a few stalls it would get running but is very hesitant. I found my first issue to be a cylinder not firing and replaced the plug to find that issue solved. Now I can get the bike moving without stalls. My issue now seems to be hesitation to get moving. I will give it throttle and it is very sluggish for 3-5 seconds before it really takes off I figured it needs a good carb cleaning but I really know nothing about cycles as this is my first. If anyone has a how to or diagram to pulling the carb it would be appreciated. Or if anyone has an idea as to the sluggishness. Also what recommendations are there for oiling the chain to remove rust?

First off, welcome to the forums!

BassCliff will be along shortly to give your "official" welcome, and there's a 450 carb cleaning guide on there.

As yours is an '84 it may vary a little as the guide is for the '80 - '82 models.

Things to check definitely on these old GS':

- Charging circuit
    - Valve clearances
    - Intake air boots and airbox boots
    - Carb cleaning
    - Fuel tap and tank

There are heaps of others too, but the ones above are mainly for getting it running right.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Pretty much all of that is a foreign language to me. Guides and diagrams are my best friend. Once I get into it and see what I'm wrenching I'll be good.

Comment

Greetings and salutations

Since BassCliff is on the phone and 50 min overdue on this I'll help him out, this is what he would say.

From me first, welcome and listen to him.

Hi Mr. cecarr08,

Let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Hope he wont be too mad

Comment

As a first off (and if you're not confident pulling carbs apart) you could try the Seafoam fuel additive for carb cleaning. You might be lucky here, but really, a good carb clean by dismantling is in order. Drain the tank and put on new fuel lines while you're at it and that problem should be solved.

As for your rusty chain, a wire brush and a good liberal coating with chain lube should do the trick, but if it is too far gone, a new set of chain and sprockets is best.

Good luck with it
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by cecarr08 View Post
            Pretty much all of that is a foreign language to me. Guides and diagrams are my best friend. Once I get into it and see what I'm wrenching I'll be good.
            I'd never touched a carb when I started tearing mine apart and didn't have a single problem (that wouldn't have been there anyways) using the walkthrough

Comment

So before I threw in some new plugs, it wasn't running on both cylinders. Now I have 2 new plugs in and it's running on both cylinders but I'm getting alot of backfiring or popping in the exhaust. I gapped the plugs at .06.

Comment

Read through the website I sent you.

Comment

Read through it and checked on some parts to condition the carb. Noticed it said to gap the plugs at .031 for the 850. I read somewhere to gap at .060-.080 for the 450. Which of these is correct. Judging by the misfire I am getting Im willing to bet I need to re-gap them to .031

Comment

Originally posted by cecarr08 View Post
                    Read through it and checked on some parts to condition the carb. Noticed it said to gap the plugs at .031 for the 850. I read somewhere to gap at .060-.080 for the 450. Which of these is correct. Judging by the misfire I am getting Im willing to bet I need to re-gap them to .031
                    Why would the gap on an 850 matter?

Comment

Every bike will have things the same and different; it's a lot easier to just follow the specs for yours only.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

FYI - per the manual, gap is .6-.7

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          FYI - per the manual, gap is .6-.7
                          Hi,

Is that inches or millimeters?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Feet. I like to use a ruler to gap them

.6-.7 mm
                            .024-.028 in

Comment

Couple of updates on the bike. I stated that it was a 1984 but the title is showing 1985. I've replaced both plugs gapped properly and I am experiencing a misfire from the right exhaust pipe. I still have the flat spot while giving it throttle in gear so I am going to tighten the throttle cable a bit. I am going to run a higher octane fuel and seafoam through it on a small ride at speeds of 55-60 mph to stretch it's legs. I am having trouble though finding an o-ring kit, new OEM jets, and intake boot rings for my bike. Any links would be appreciated. Looking for all OEM gear here.

Comment

Working...
                              X