Engine noise? Squeaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine noise? Squeaking?

Adjust my floats and got the gas to stop dumping out of the carb, so now it's on to that squeaking noise that my engine is making...

Best I could tell it sounded like it was coming from the top of the motor somewhere on the front side?

Got any ideas?

Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2011, 09:37 AM.

Sound like a Head gasket leak.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

Doesn't look to have any head gasket troubles...

Comment

engine noise?squeaking?

could be the tack cable at the front of the engine . mine made noise and then broke.

bubbarandi

Comment

Might be that but that is one sound that i've herd before as a leaking head gasket.

Another thing to consider would be air rushing through the carbs

or air coming out of the crank case vent that is partially blocked.

Maybe try muffling the exhaust a bit and listen closely. It was a bit hard to hear where it was coming from with the exhaust so loud.
          Last edited by Mekanix; 03-18-2011, 11:20 PM.
          Stephen.
          1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
          GS twin wiki

Comment

engine noise?squeaking?

I should have watched the video first, you dont have a tack. The mount could still be making the noise when it spins.

Comment

I would say to lube the points but you have electric ign.

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                Might be that but that is one sound that i've herd before as a leaking head gasket.

Another thing to consider would be air rushing through the carbs

or air coming out of the crank case vent that is partially blocked.

Maybe try muffling the exhaust a bit and listen closely. It was a bit hard to hear where it was coming from with the exhaust so loud.
                Yeah the exhaust is pretty loud... that's how it was when I got it. I'll check those things.

Originally posted by bubbarandi1 View Post
                I should have watched the video first, you dont have a tack. The mount could still be making the noise when it spins.
                It looks like the previous owner just cut the cable off, so I need to check into this area closer since that's about where the sound seems to come from.

Comment

As others have said the noise closely follows the engine speed, as nice as the exhaust sounds, got to agree that for diagnosis purposes you needs to quieten that thing down.

What happens when you turn her over with no spark plugs connected? Or with spark plugs connected but no HT leads. can you hear the noise then?

Comment

Working...
                  X