gs 500 into a 450 frame????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 500 into a 450 frame????

Hi everyone, I'm new to the club and ive got a quick question , hopefully someone will be able to answer, I've had a gs 450 twin that iv'e been doing up as a flat tracker and it looks great but after 4 yrs of rebuild finally got it mot'd last saturday but the engine siezed on the top end, AGHHHH, so i was thinking of slotting a gs 500 engine in , All i need to know is if it will fit as they look identical, Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks. Nige..

The biggest problem will probably be the exhaust ports- gs500 headers come right out into the 450 frame. I believe the 2 motors have the same outer dimensions, so it may fit fine otherwise.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, Hmm thats a tricky one to solve, Once again Thanks

Comment

yes they fit, but you need to have new exhaust headers made for you. alternatively you can buy a box of mandrell bends.

I have a photo somewhere here...

you are warned now, this bike caused injury to everyone that had a ride, including the owner who took a handle bar in the chest. we called it the weapon and it was dangerous. also stupid amounts of fun.

The builder was OldSchoolOrange. he had a thread about this in 2008

Comment

check out
          This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

and the original

Comment

Wow...Just wow. Nice. Also hate to jump thread here....but does the tranny 450 tranny fit the 500? I might be going this route.

Comment

I believe the bottom ends are identical.

Comment

Thanks all, I'll seriously look into this now !!!! I'm starting to get excited now

Comment

i think the bigger engines will go in a 250 frame but not the other way round. 250's have a single frame down tube that won't foul on the headers.

Comment

500 into 450 frame job done

Hi all, just a line to let you know how i got on, the 500 did go in the 450's frame with very little messing about, It now runs 98% sweet just has a little flat spot at about 80mph then takes off again to nudge the ton so i've still got a little tweeking to do but it starts stops and handles great, getting braver every day. the main alterations were :- (1) re-fabricate the exhaust headers to miss the frame. (2) realign the front and rear sprockets. (3) Mount the black ignition box and swap to 500 coils. (4) had to use various cables from the 500 e.g. clutch throttle and choke, also had to fit a handlebar choke lever,
                    Next job is to alter the gearing as the 450's rear sprocket is a lot larger than the 500's so it should cruise along the m-way faster and lower revs.
                    Overall i'm really chuffed with the bike glad i did it now. Nige i'll put some pics on asap

Comment

500 int0 450

Comment

Wow, very nicely done

Comment

Good effort! Are you able to get some close ups of how you routed the headers around the frame? That seems to be the trouble point for this swap...
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Very nicely done.
                            I like the way you had the pipes bent to clear the frame tubes and the scrambler type look of the exhaust on one side.
                            We need more details on that exhaust system.
                            The bike looks great!

Daniel

Comment

Very cool! I may consider this swap since parts for a GS450 engine are getting a little harder to find. Wouldn't mind upgrading to GS500 electrical either! Can you please get more pictures of the headers?

Good job .

Comment

Working...
                              X