88' GS450lj tach stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88' GS450lj tach stopped working

As you can tell from the title, the tach stopped working.
    Drivin along one day (i put like 10k on my bike a year, so this could be one of MANY days) and bhoop... Tach drops... and dont come back up again. Hasn't since.
    Well, normally I'd consult the good ole clymer manual (anyone know where i can get one that specifically caters to the 88 450? I know its really close to the 87 thats listed on there, but there are some differences) But low and behold.. Wheres the tach?
    Anyways, anyone got info on tach operation? I dont mind getting my hands dirty, but i like to do my homework first.
    Nothing worse then pulling something apart and, no matter how much you write down or how many pictures you take, some spring goes flying out of somewhere and the thing just crumbles in your hands and you have no schems to look at to show you where stuff goes.
    Anyways, what id like to find is atleast some diagrams of how the tach drive assembly goes in the engine. Ofcourse, the more the better. Any idea why they didnt include it in the manual?
    Thanks

Hi,

Online parts fiche diagrams are a wonderful thing. You should become familiar with how to use them.

Most likely, #39 CABLE ASSY, TACH part# 34940-05311 (replaces 34940-44111) needs replacement.

Sometimes you have to take the gauges off, turn them upside down, and squirt your favorite lube into the cable ports. If that doesn't work then it may be time to disassemble and clean.

The cable drives a gear assembly which turns a magnet which influences a bell housing which actuates a watch spring apparatus which moves the needle on the tach. If that bell housing is crudded up the needle will not move.

This is the speedo, but the tach is basically the same.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2011, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Hi again,

The tach cable connects to the engine in the head. Reference numbers 20 thru 23 are the tach send gear assembly, which is where the tach cable screws into the engine.

The tach cable just screws in at both ends. Don't worry, the tach gear assembly will not come flying out. Even after removing screw #24 you have to pry it out.

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        Hi,

Online parts fiche diagrams are a wonderful thing. You should become familiar with how to use them.
        Where joo find that! Just kidding where did that particular fiche come from?

Most likely, #39 CABLE ASSY, TACH part# 34940-05311 (replaces 34940-44111) needs replacement.
        Any particular favorite place to look for such a cable?

The cable drives a gear assembly which turns a magnet which influences a bell housing which actuates a watch spring apparatus which moves the needle on the tach. If that bell housing is crudded up the needle will not move.
        Thanks for the explination, now i understand whats goin on in there.

Now if only my poor back would cooperate, walking is hard enough, fixing the steed is out of the question so until that feels better, im stuck inside. Hope it feels better soon.

Comment

Hi,

There is a long list of our favorite vendors (the OEM vendors have online parts fiches) in your "mega-welcome". If you have misplaced yours, just go to my little website and click the READ ME file.

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2011, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X