First track bike GS750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First track bike GS750?

I've been riding a few years and from the start have always wanted to do a track day. This summer things are finally coming together - I got a new job, paid of my credit card, and found a like-minded friend who's also seriously into trying some track days.

2 months ago I was sitting on an EX500 and an FZR600, either of which I think could have easily been transformed into an acceptable beginner's track bike. Since then I've sold them both bought and bought a 1st gen FZ1, and while the big fizzer is an outstanding road bike, there is no way in hell I am going to bring 140hp to my first track day. I'd prefer something closer to 50.

Now maybe I'm being a little naive, but I'd like to spend around $1500 total. My initial thoughts were that a ninja 500 or 250 would be great, or even an FZR600, CBR F1, or a Bandit 600. It can (and probably will, for the money I've got) look like crap, may not have a title, and almost certainly need a carb cleaning, new tires and other important bits like fork seals. I'd like to get the bike for around $1000 or so and spend the rest on new tires and brakes.

Anyway to get to the point, I was thinking that for the same money I could get a running GS 750, throw some progressives in the front and rear, put on some good rubber and maybe even a used exhaust and bigger jets.

What do you guys think about that setup as a track bike for my first season?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2011, 11:11 AM. Reason: "breaks" to "brakes" ... oops!

I'd look for a 600 of some sort, the racer the better. You should be able to find something pretty decent for about $2000 so I suggest you find an extra $500 since falling down hurts.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

My theory goes like this. If you learn to race on your bike when you spring for a lighter racier bike itll be easy peasy lemon squeezy

Comment

Spend another 1500 on "the Fizzer"
        The bike you have is always the best one to ride
        Caning the crap out of your daily transport on the track on the weekend definitely has its disadvantages.
        Good tyres and brakes is a must on the track
        My track bike is a 78 gs
        My road bike is a 1980 gs
        The 78 has better tyres and brakes

Comment

Your initial thought was best; find a fzr, bandit or cbr 600 that is ugly but functional. Good suspension, tires, and brakes and go have some fun. If you do the GS you're probably going to spend all that money getting it ready, then last one day and want a more modern one anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
            Your initial thought was best; find a fzr, bandit or cbr 600 that is ugly but functional. Good suspension, tires, and brakes and go have some fun. If you do the GS you're probably going to spend all that money getting it ready, then last one day and want a more modern one anyway.
            I agree, you can pick up just about any first generation 600/750 sportbike for $1,000 to $1,500. It doesn't have to look nice it just has to be reasonably sound mechanically. You've got way better tire selection, better brakes, better handling so they'll be a whole lot more fun.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

SV650...should not be too hard to find a decent one already set for the track. Lots and lots of parts and info available.

Comment

My brother started doing track days last summer on his BKing. Yeah, it's a lot of power, but ultimately your right hand has the final say on how much of that power hits the road. If it were me, I'd just invest in some case savers and other crash-protective equipment for you and the FZ and ride. You're never going to get to know your bike better than when you're putting it through it's limits in a *safe* setting like a track (vs. the street like some squids do).

Barring that, I see a lot of sense in snagging a fairly modern 600 to whip on. An early SV650 shouldn't be too hard to find at a decent price, and there's a HUGE after market for performance parts for them.

Comment

Okay, so it sounds like a GS probably isn't the way to go. An SV650 would be great but even the rougher ones seem to go for at least 2 grand. I'll probably get something older...

What about this FZR400?

Fox Twin Clicker
                  Race tech emulators
                  CFM Rearsets
                  Steering Damper
                  520 chain and sprockets
                  Nationals Fiberglass race tail
                  GSXR750 front master cylinder
                  Dyno jet stage 1 jet kit
                  Yoshimura full exhaust

$1500 for this + 2 new tires would bring the total to around $1800. More than I want to spend but just the bike I'd want to ride.

Comment

That thing looks like a hoot, especially on a tight winding track where the speeds don't get up so high.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yep thatll get the job done

Comment

I'd recommend springing for something that's already been set up for the track. SV650, F3, F4(i), 99-02 r6, etc are all great starter bikes, but be prepared. This sport is a drug, and you need alot more money that 1500-2000 to play with.

Good luck
                        1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

This would be an excellent place to get the info that you need:

WERA racing forum...

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
                            I'd recommend springing for something that's already been set up for the track. SV650, F3, F4(i), 99-02 r6, etc are all great starter bikes, but be prepared. This sport is a drug, and you need alot more money that 1500-2000 to play with.

Good luck
                            I understand the track will be expensive, especially considering I'm going to have to rent a trailer and a suit ($90 total) plus a hotel split 2 ways. Figuring on about $500 a day. I don't want to spend too much yet on a bike since I'll probably only make it to the track twice this year.
                            Plus I'm frugal by nature... I just find myself with expensive hobbies

I got in touch with the owner of that FZR but it just sold today Gonna keep an eye out for another though.

Comment

Did you guys get the VFR400? Those things were made for the job and a cosmetically challenged one can be bought for peanuts.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                              X