GSA 450 - frame issue, swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSA 450 - frame issue, swap?

Have an 82 450A (two speed semi auto trans) that we dug out of a barn. Got her running pretty well, got the brakes & electrics sorted out. Fun little bike for the wife to start out on her own...

However, noticed a crack / fracture in the neck when I was redoing the wiring in the light bucket. Ugh.

As it is its hard to find info on these low production models, and not having alot of experience in the early 80s suzuki bikes I thought I'd ask here:

What frames will readily accept the 450A case & trans... and its a shafty drive!

Or any better ideas?

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick, Is the crack so large or for some other reason unweldable? Seems like a good possibility it could be repaired. Regards, Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Find a better welder than Suzuki used the first time. Shouldn't be hard.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

IDK, Im not much of a welder but it appears to be a fair bit of rust around the area. I have a friend who's more skilled with a TIG then I and he was the one that suggested the idea...
        Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Find a better welder than Suzuki used the first time. Shouldn't be hard.
        LOL.

Comment

I did a quick reverse search on the part number on Babbitts Online, and the only results are the 1982 and 1983 GS450GA...

Clean up around the crack and see if you can tell if it's an actual crack or just a seem where the weld has failed.

If it's a crack, then I'm not sure, but if it's a seem, then your mate should be able to weld that up.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

gah, thats about what I figured. My other online research tends to say the GAZ's were factory one offs with tweaks on the chassis to meet the market design.

Thanks folks. I'll let you know how she turns out or if we'll be parting out in the near future.

Nick

Comment

If the neck tubing itself is split, talk to a local machine shop about turning a new neck to the OE specs. They can measure it out in no time and have it turned quick. If its just a cracked weld at the backbone or downtubes, just have it cleaned, grooved out and rewelded. If youre not comfortable doing the work yourself, have a local shop quote you a price. DO NOT let them talk you into paying more for tig welding. Mig and Stick are all just as strong and capable of holding the neck. I myself prefer to mig as much as I can regardless of material but thats just me. Need any info to take to a shop so ya dont get newbie screwed, hit me up and Ill tell you everything you should need.

Comment

Originally posted by hammered View Post
                if the neck tubing itself is split, talk to a local machine shop about turning a new neck to the oe specs. They can measure it out in no time and have it turned quick. If its just a cracked weld at the backbone or downtubes, just have it cleaned, grooved out and rewelded. If youre not comfortable doing the work yourself, have a local shop quote you a price. Do not let them talk you into paying more for tig welding. Mig and stick are all just as strong and capable of holding the neck. I myself prefer to mig as much as i can regardless of material but thats just me. Need any info to take to a shop so ya dont get newbie screwed, hit me up and ill tell you everything you should need.
                +1

Comment

Working...
                X