1980 GS450E wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS450E wont start

hey guys Im in need of some help. Over the winter I completely disassembled my bike, cleaned carbs, replaced o-ring in the carb and intake boots and all that, and put it back together. Now that its back together im working out some of the kinks. I installed a mac 2-1 as well.

When I first got it back together it fired right up, ran hot, and blued my new pipes... (I heard that there is some blue stuff to clean em with). After adjusting the pilot screw (2 screws out) and the idle, it was able to start with some trouble.

I rode it a few times and it one day it was very difficult to start. Once I got it started after about 5 min, I tried to ride 2 miles home and on the way it died. the choke was off, the idle was right at 1500, and while riding at 25 mph the bike lost all power! I was able to restart it by giving it lots of throttle and I had to give it a lot of throttle to keep it running. I noticed the headlight was dim too. It died again after 1 block and refused to start so I did the push start thing and I was able to limp home.

When I got it back to the garage I checked the starter wiring and it is intact. I found my intake boots clamps on the engine side of the carbs were not tight, so i tightened them. I then fiddled with the pilot screws and idle setting and still couldnt get it started so I put the screws back to 2 turns out and the idle adjustment is a big guess, I have no idea where its set.

Here are the problems:
    -Spark plugs are wet with gas after not starting
    -Fuel built up in the carbs after not starting with choke and throttle and I had to pull the drain screws off the bottom of the bowls. (there was a ton of gas in there)
    -the started sometimes is hesitant when I push the button.

I havent had too much time to tinker yet, but I did recharge the battery with my trickle charger and nothing changed.

Do I have a bad ground somewhere?
    Should the battery be grounded to the frame (it was just repainted)?

I seem to think my problem is electrical. I think that im getting plenty of air and fuel but my problem is my plugs wont ignite the fuel and then the more i crank it the more fuel is delivered and eventually just flooded to hell!

Where do I start guys?
    Thanks in advance

Since your frame was repainted and the battery's ground is on that freshly painted frame, it is not grounding well. Move the battery's ground to the bottom of the engine. Try that and let us know what happens.

Comment

Your first symptoms actually led me to think fuel tap if you hadn't checked it out, as in gummed up with old fuel etc.

If you didn't clean your fuel tap and tank like the carbs, it's possible that some of that gunk has gotten into your clean carbs and clogged them again...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Fuel tap is new too!

I think the battery ground is most likely. I have no pictures of the bottom of my motorcycle during the teardown, does the ground just go from negative battery terminal to the bottom of the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by CycloneGS View Post
          Fuel tap is new too!

I think the battery ground is most likely. I have no pictures of the bottom of my motorcycle during the teardown, does the ground just go from negative battery terminal to the bottom of the engine?
          That's how it is on my bike. There should be 2 bolts under the engine right in front of the swingarm pivot. My ground is on the bolt to the right.

Comment

The ground is still connected to the engine, I didnt remove it during disassymbly.

I took the spark plugs out, one at a time, then reattached the plug wires and hit the start button. Neither plug made a visible spark!

So I think this means I'm not getting anything from the coils down to the plugs.

I guess I need to go back through the ignition system? Any tips before I take the tank off and start inspecting things?

Comment

The ground is still connected to the engine, I didnt remove it during disassymbly.

I took the spark plugs out, one at a time, then reattached the plug wires and hit the start button. Neither plug made a visible spark!

So I think this means I'm not getting anything from the coils down to the plugs.

I guess I need to go back through the ignition system? Any tips before I take the tank off and start inspecting things?
              Oh man! I just went through an electrical nightmare! Don't worry. We're here to help you!

First thing to check is if the battery is charged. If so, go ahead and test the coils. Do you have a multimeter handy?

Check to see if you're getting 12v to each coil. I can't remember the exact procedure but it's in your manual around the ignition system area. You can download a manual from BassCliff's site.

Comment

Follow the test in the Clymer for your ignitor...

sigpic

Comment

No mulitmeter available tonight. But I will persue that avenue... Dang!

It was just running the other night!

Comment

Comment

No mulitmeter available tonight. But I will persue that avenue... Dang!

It was just running the other night!
                      Bummer! You can't do the tests without a multimeter.

I put tape on my headlight too lol. Except it's an 'X' instead of a +. I got clubmans too .

You're not trying to start the bike up without exhausts are you? If the bike starts without an exhaust, flames will shoot out! Ask me how I know .

Let us know when you get the multimeter. I'll dig out the tests tomorrow if you want me to.

Comment

HAHA I didnt try and start it without exhaust, I wanted to though! I did some trimwork on the tail, the clubmans, MAC exhaust and thats about it. I spent most my money getting it back to stock shape (brakes, chain, plugs, carb kit, choke lever, lights, etc.)

The tape is removed now.

I will try and get the multimeter tonight.

Here is a video of it on its 2nd start a few weeks ago (if this works):

Comment

Does either of these look funny to you guys? I want to make sure everything is grounded ok.

Comment

Bit hard to tell from those pic's, but I'd be running a lead from the negative of the battery straight to your R/R as well to be sure.

sigpic

Comment

I dont know what R/R means.

Comment

Working...
                              X