Smooth isn't always good :P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smooth isn't always good :P

Hey, I was out riding the other day and noticed how little vibration I was getting from my bike around 5k.

There is usually a nice buzzing sensation in the handlebars and foot pegs but this time it was completely smooth.

It didn't quite seem normal to me so I started investigating

Turns out the front motor mount bolt ( long one ) was loose enough to spin with a wrench but not sloppy at all. I couldn't tell unless I put a wrench on it.

Also the rear bolt was starting to slip slightly and the bottom long one was tight but would still turn with a wrench.

I'm assuming it was the vibrations that allowed the bolts to set into the powdercoat and become loose.

I tightened the three bolts to spec again since the rebuild last year and added a little locktite. Voila the vibration is back. Might not be smooth but its piece of mind.

Lesson being, If something isn't normal, find out why.
    Even if it feels better the way it is :P

But hey, knowing what is normal comes with experience.
    Last edited by Mekanix; 04-28-2011, 01:04 AM.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Atleast you know this will be a common problem so you can periodically check them.

Maybe try tapping the holes and putting in new bolts that you can chase with a corresponding dye and possibly a locking washer?

Comment

Thanks Ranger.

It wasn't the fit in the hole that was the issue, it was the face of the nut and the head of the bolt that wore into the powdercoat of the motor mounts.

But yeah I'm going to be keeping an eye on it from now on.
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Funny you posted this... I had pretty much the same thing happen this weekend where both my front upper mounts were loose. I tightened them back, but I like the idea of using new hardware and a lock washer.

Comment

Interesting that you post this as I was just sitting and thinking about how much I now miss the old XS650. The old twin used to shake and shimmy and it was SOP to go around it with a wrench or two after a ride as things had a tendency to loosen up, but that was part and parcel of the fun of it.

That bike always felt to me like a "real" bike and sounded like one too. The big 4s are smooth as silk but they do sound like sewing machines too I find.

I need to get me another bone shaker or at least something that sounds like a bike. My buddy has had a series of CX500 and 650 Hondas with the funny Guzzi like V-Twins. While I always thought they were goofy they do sound good. I've been thinking about doing one as a cafe and oddly there was an article on one in this months edition of our local mag (Motorcycle Mojo) that got me thinking more. Maybe in the fall....too many things still to do.

Well you can't beat a good twin but they do tend to throw things off so do the wrench check every once in a while or use your aeronautical skills and safety wire everything!

Enjoy.
          Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
            I need to get me another bone shaker or at least something that sounds like a bike. My buddy has had a series of CX500 and 650 Hondas with the funny Guzzi like V-Twins. While I always thought they were goofy they do sound good. I've been thinking about doing one as a cafe and oddly there was an article on one in this months edition of our local mag (Motorcycle Mojo) that got me thinking more. Maybe in the fall....too many things still to do.
            When you get around to looking for one, check with Dogma. He has one in the shed and he still doesn't know what to do with it.
            He keeps saying he needs to either work on it or get rid of it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X