Oil cooler for a twin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cooler for a twin?

Hi, I was just wondering what I could use for an oil cooler for the 4xx base twin ?

I know the 500 has one but it bolts onto the cylinder block

I'm still not sure how this one works.

Certain gs450 Automatic 2 speed bikes have them but its quite rare and connects to the oil sump pan.
    I'm assuming oil gets sucked from the pan, through the cooler and then to through the pan again to the oil pump.

So what could be made to work for a twin in terms of cooling ?

Thanks
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

I'm pretty sure the 8V 400 is similar to the 4V 450 as far as the lubrication circuits go - this means its VERY awkward to fit an oil cooler.
    As far as I can see the only really practical way is to plumb hoses out of the oil filter cavity via a cooler to an exterior filter and back in via the filter cavity again.
    There are a number of add-on exterior filter kits for things like Nortons and triumphs as well as ones for cars - all seem to use a spin on element too.
    Could be done neatly with the cooler under the steering head and the filter sitting down in front between the pipes - more accessible for changes too.

I'd be surprised if you need a cooler anyway.

Comment

I'm curious to see where this goes. But is it possible to take the entire motor from a late model gs500 and bolt the whole thing in?

Or maybe get a custom canister to replace the oil filter cover? More surface area plus more capacity should equal slightly cooler oil.

Comment

Working...
      X