Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reassembly Question

Hey all,

I had some tranny issues a while back and am about to button everything back up. In checking my clymer manual it doesn't mention sealing the two case halves any place that I can find?! It says to stick 'em back together and torque certain bolts in a certain order. The only mention of any kind of sealant I can find is later where it says "Apply a thin film of Suzuki Bond No.4 approximately 1 in. on each side of the crankcase seams." But this is after the case halves have been torqued and is referring to installing the stator cover.

Thanks guys, I just don't want to have to pull thing thing twice if I can help it!

Mark

I used a thin bead of RTV around the whole mating surface, probably the black variety, on the couple of cases I've split. No leaks to date.
    -1980 GS1100 LT
    -1975 Honda cb750K
    -1972 Honda cl175
    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

RTV, three bond, Yamabond, Kawabond - all are suitable but use sparingly and don't go within about 1/8 in of the bearing edges.
      Keep about the same distance away from any oil galleries passing through the joint surfaces too.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I had always heard the RTV was a no no when it comes to cases?, I do think that I have heard of Yamaha bond before now that you mention it. May have to make a stop by a stealership this week.

Comment

Working...
        X