Wheelie bars installed. No traction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelie bars installed. No traction

My dilemma... with the new bars I will have marginal traction. I have a rear wheel that has a 150-60-18 tire on it. I have looked for a slick in that general size and have found nothing. The rim is an Akront 3.5 inch and I am probably stuck with that size due to $ constraints... Any advice is appreciated... engine specs are 1327 cc with miles but still strong... Last year all I saw was sky thru 3rd gear...
    Curt
    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

wheelie bars and street tires do not work.
    your only choice is a mickey or goodyear 7X18.
    no one makes round sided slicks for the WM6 anymore.

Comment

I got a 5.5 slick from Goodyear Pingel still stocks them...will this work with a bar?its on a almost stock 1150 chassis with 4in and small rake..

Comment

there you have it.
        get the 5.5 goodyear....i didn't know they even made that anymore.
        the 5.5 is a square sided tire correct?

Comment

I am off to the Pingle website... Lets hope its not too wide for the rim. Thanks for the response guys.
          Curt

Comment

Originally posted by bellucci View Post
            I am off to the Pingle website... Lets hope its not too wide for the rim. Thanks for the response guys.
            Curt
            you have no choice...
            will give you more bite than you can stand

Comment

Item:2084 Description:Slick Rear 25.0x5.5-18 D-3
              Unit of Measure:EACHQuantity Available:Order Quantity: Item Pricing:From QuantityTo QuantityUnit Price1 Or Greater191.00 Home User Profile Products Check Out
              Please send questions or comments to the Webmaster.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                there you have it.
                get the 5.5 goodyear....i didn't know they even made that anymore.
                the 5.5 is a square sided tire correct?
                Yes I bought one from Pingel last summer had a few in stock I think they where $150 each...here is a pic we had it stand up on this same bike a few weeks ago..busted a gsxr1000s ass by 1/10 of a sec threw the traps..hahha

Comment

when you set up your wheelie bars a general rule of thumb is to lay a 2x4 on the ground nice level surface like your garage floor or driveway and have the wheels to where they just touch the 2x4 laying flat .
                  with that goodyear i would start with about 7.5LBS of air these are good starting points i have ran in the nines with one of these 5.5 tires they work well .

good luck
                  steve

Comment

I glue a line level on the top triple tree of all my drag bikes to make sure I'm sitting square. It's amasing how far off you can be while staged and think your straight upright.

Comment

That tire is good for 9.20s & 9.30s on the 1166 motored bike of my buddy Chad's. Here is my old bike with that 5.5 tire. Look at how that tire was working! Good tire for a low to mid hp application. If you don't have one yet, GET a lockup!!! I CAN'T stress this enough! Ray.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice... Now I have to go to the store again...
                        1. Tire
                        2. 2x4
                        3. lockup clutch
                        4. bigger stones...
                        Ray... whats the price tag on a lockup?
                        Gs1150... Great looking bike!
                        Chandler... Only 2 inches? It will be fun to see the track instead
                        of the sky...
                        and only 7.5 lbs of pressure? Will the tire slip on the rim?

Comment

MadJack,
                          I like that idea for level staging. I will get results in a couple of weeks.
                          Thanks
                          Curt

Comment

and only 7.5 lbs of pressure? Will the tire slip on the rim?

you need to screw the tire to the rim.
                            look on the inside of the rim lip.
                            there may be semi drilled holes already.
                            if the tube twist in the rim the valve stem will tear and you will be on a flat..
                            not good!

Comment

Blowerbike,
                              Back to the store for tube and sheet metal screws.. Does anyone know where I can get bigger stones?
                              Curt

Comment

Working...
                              X