Yreka to Arcata, Califorina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yreka to Arcata, Califorina

Yreka, where is that? 22 miles form the Oregon border, on I-5 in California (State fo Jefferson XX). Mind you that's Yreka not Eureka.

I hope the link to the map works as this is the first time posting anything of this nature.

Last Saturday I went over the the coast on my 650g to visit my son, who is going to school at Humboldt State University. I ride the upper section quite a bit in the summer both for work and fun. I like the route alot. Little or no traffic. Well, sometimes there is grandpa going into town, local kids riding dirt bikes up a cut bank on the side of the road, a Winnobago or a Buffalo chasing a deer.

Pictures to follow, when I see if this link works.

Charlie G
    Last edited by Charlie G; 06-11-2011, 03:20 PM.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

The river on the right is the Klamath river. It originates and flows from Oregon into northern California. The water has come through a vast marsh lake at the border where it has picked up a more green cast than some of the other rivers you will cross as we take this journey. Most of the picture I took are of the rivers not so much of the road. Black top is black top, eh?

This, I think is Sluce Box, a small rapid in a bend of the river.

This is Seiad Store and cafe. Somewhat famous. I left at 11:00 and I've covered 54 miles and it's time to eat. Seiad Store is a stopping point on the Pacific Crest Trail. It has a challenge that if you eat "all" of one of there special breakfasts, you get it free. I was rated 3rd on a TV show as one of the best places to "Pig out" in the US. You can find it in a goggle search of Seiad store. Good food and friendly people!!!! You can get gas in Seiad Valley ( a town of sorts) but I'm going on 20 more miles to Happy Camp, so I won't have to stop again until I get to the coast.

Notice the sign in this shot, "Slide Area". Another shot of the Klamath River, after Happy Camp. Happy Camp has a couple of Cafes and gas. Most of the gas stations only take credit/debit cards. They may not be easy to find so ask a local if you have trouble.

The roads from Yreka to Happy Camp are in really good shape. Long sweeping turns that can be tempting. There a three hair pin turns. One about 15 miles from Yreka at Tree of Heaven campground and two more, almost back to back before you get to Happy Camp. Watch the the signs as there are a few areas where you come into small communities where people, wildlife and hazzards. You are buzzing through someone's back yard on this road and deer are everywhere.

more to come....

cg
    Last edited by Charlie G; 05-04-2011, 09:03 PM.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Nesting Eagle. I tried at least?

This gorup of shots is taken at Somes Bar, a small town where the Salmon River comes into the Klamath. The shot above , has a more blue patch on the left, which is the Salmon river.

Salmon River bridge, hwy 96

This is looking toward the Klamath, while standing on the Salmon river bridge. The small mountian to the right of the river is Sugarloaf mountian.
      The Klamath is just the other side of the mountian. This is a sacred place to the local tribes. Be respectful.

Looking down on the Salmon from the bridge. Somewhat high water, but still clear. Great place to swim...the end of July.

Looking easterly up the Salmon river. This is where the "Goat path" of the 4th western sates ralley is to be found. Another day I'll cover that route.

Good grazing too. OOps!

More later..................cg
      Last edited by Charlie G; 05-05-2011, 02:11 AM.
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g

Comment

The Salmon river is the county line, and you now enter Humboldt county. The roads get narrower, winder and a few places are riddled with road "Tar" snakes. On toward the town of Orleans and Weitchapec.

This is Bluff Creek as it enters into the Klamath River.

The Klamath river from the Wietchapec bridge.

The confluence of the Trinity river ( comes in from the left, blue water) and the Klamath from the Weitchapec bridge. The Klamath river heads to the ocean here , but we head up the Trinity river toward the Hoopa Indian reservation and the town of Willow Creek.

The Trinity River just after leaving Hoopa. The speed limit is somewhat hard to follow through Hoopa. It goes from 55 to 35 to 45 and I have to pay attention real close. I don't think I want a ticket here.

The Trinity river just before Willow Creek.

This is the town of Willow Creek where hwy96 meets hwy 299. Go left and you head to I-5. Go right (westerly) and you head to the coast. You are now on a regular 2 lane highway with some passing lanes. You head up a grade to the 2500 summit of the coastal range and then down to the coast. The river road is what I really enjoy and the rest of the way is just the "Road to the Coast". This trip takes 4 hours plus a few from Yreka to Arcata in my F250 Ford truck. The bike takes me a bit longer as I'm on leasure time and tend to want to stop and see a new creek or look a eagle. You can do it much faster, but I WARN you there is alot of "wildlife. I've seen bear, deer and flocks of turkeys on almost every trip down the river. Of course they are gone during hunting season, but then the hunters are out slowing you down.

These shots are from a vista point on hwy 299, at the summit of the coastal range. From here it is down hill to the coast. There are a few nice long sweeping hairpins turns on 299 that you think will never end. They are fun, even a legal speeds. I didn't take any pictures of the coast or Arcata as the real adventure for me is the road I was just on. Hope you enjoy. Come visit

Charlie G
        Last edited by Charlie G; 05-04-2011, 10:56 PM.
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g

Comment

Beautiful ride Charlie ; Did you stop in Happy Camp?

I hope to maybe get up that way on the next Reno trip. When Bill blew his engine last time we missed most of Hwy 1 coming back down.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Beautiful ride Charlie ; Did you stop in Happy Camp?

I hope to maybe get up that way on the next Reno trip. When Bill blew his engine last time we missed most of Hwy 1 coming back down.

I stopped for gas. I eat to often in Happy Camp throughout the summer, as my son works as a river guide and I always go down a visit or raft. If you make it up give me a shout.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g

Comment

Great looking pictures Charlie. Thank you
              sigpic
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

You guys have some of the nicest roads down there Charlie and the best thing of all NO TRAFFIC! well not much anyways. Great write up, and fantastic photos. I will have to pencil that road in on the to do list. That's the crap thing up here on the Island, nice roads but tons of traffic.
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                  You guys have some of the nicest roads down there Charlie and the best thing of all NO TRAFFIC! well not much anyways. Great write up, and fantastic photos. I will have to pencil that road in on the to do list. That's the crap thing up here on the Island, nice roads but tons of traffic.
                  Last weekend there was almost no traffic. No tourists yet and it was a weekend. No work traffic. Even in the summer it is very light traffic. It was the first sequence of days where we've had sun that you could think about riding for a whole weekend.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Comment

Hard to believe, but I rode that route coming back from Laguna Seca World Superbike races back in 1992 on my 80 1100ET. I arrived in Arcata around 8pm a gas station attendant strongly urged me to take 299, but I was heading back to Bellingham Washington.
                    I didn't want to go SE, I wanted to go NW back to I-5.

I had left San Jose at 9:30am, telling a buddy I would meet him at the Springfield Oregon rest stop at 9:00 pm. He was driving a Volkswagen van taking I-5, while I took the coast route.

It was raining most of the way, the guy at the gas station said watch for deer and rocks, big rocks on the road, there were both.
                    I had the crazy notion I could ride 150 + twisty miles in the rain before dark and get somewhere near I-5 and just drone up to Springfield. My charging system was weak and I had a scratched lightly tinted facesheild, as I mainly rode in the daytime.

I got gas in Happy Camp and chuckled about the selection of magazines on the rack. The upper three racks were all skin mags.

I didn't arrive in Springfield till 2am. I threw my bag on picnic table to sleep, but it started to rain, so I slept on the road under my buddies van. We got breakfast instead.

Thanks for the photos and stirring up good memories. Hope I didn't intrude on your thread, didn't mean to.
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Carter, I appriecate the comments. I won't drive around here at night. There are to many deer and my night vision has really deminished the last couple of years.. I can't imagine doing that whole run staring at 8 pm.

cg
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Comment

Nice ride, Charlie. I missed ALL of this on the Shasta Rally trip. Thanks for rubbing it in!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                          Nice ride, Charlie. I missed ALL of this on the Shasta Rally trip. Thanks for rubbing it in!
                          Tom,

I thought of you as I wrote it up. Take it as an invitation to have a guided tour someday, eventhough I my be following you.

cg
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g

Comment

I lived up at the forks of salmon a few years back in a tent, gold mining. Beautiful area! Im planning an OR trip in the next few months, hopefully I'll get to see this again!

Comment

Originally posted by wrenchman View Post
                              I lived up at the forks of salmon a few years back in a tent, gold mining. Beautiful area! Im planning an OR trip in the next few months, hopefully I'll get to see this again!
                              I've spent quite a bit of time in Sawyers Bar working on buildings there for the FS. The Froks is a nice place. Love to take a dip in the river after a day of work. Special place.

cg
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
                              X