Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1985 gs450L jumps forward and stalls...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 gs450L jumps forward and stalls...?

Ok so I was gonna bring my GS450L home today for the first time as I finally paid her off rite? So I go in and start it up let it warm up a bit & I jump on her, adjust the choke off as I didnt need it no more, Pulled the clutch in, tossed it in 1st (w/ the clutch still engaged) & she jumps forward & stalls out almost like an abrupt release of the clutch to fast but thing is, I NEVER released the clutch.........So is the clutch out of it? So I had to leave it at my workplace garage cuz I obviously couldnt ride it home. Now what? It was runnin like a top, I watched the guy ride it all last summer and once or twice this year already for little short rides. What gives?

The oil was still too sticky, sticking the clutch plates together most likely. While it's warming up, work your clutch handle in and out to get the oil moving between the plates so they release. Sometimes when my oil is real cold, it takes as much as five minutes of warm up to allow my clutch plates to release their grip.

Comment

really, no Sh**? Wow, the little things ya learn here can be a lifesaver or a mind saver,lol. Ill try that tomorrow when i go back to the shop & see what she does. It doies make sense cuz the bike is an 85 and she only has 2,015 original miles on it, more sitting then running I can see why that would or could happen. Thank you again and ill try my luck tomorrow w/ it. Wish me luck!

Comment

Another possibility is that you need to adjust the clutch cable. Happened to me last year .

Comment

would it be too much for me to ask how you adjust the clutch cable? I watched a video or two on how to do it but it doesnt give closeups on what their doing really it says to maintain a 16th to an 8th of an inch but i cant see between what two areas from the video i saw.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2011, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twlzt3d View Post
            would it be too much for me to ask how you adjust the clutch cable?
            It should be in your manual.

Anyways, the clutch cable is on the left side of the engine right on top off the sprocket cover. Simply tighten or loosen the cable there which is held by a nut. I think you can figure it out .

But try letting your bike warm up first.

Comment

alrite sir, will do. Ill let ya know what i find out tomorrow once i get home then.

Comment

Remember, adjust at the engine side, fine tune the friction point at the clutch itself.

Comment

So I brought it home today altho the initial leaving the garage was kind of a pain in the arse. Was still doing the same thing after idling for 30 minutes to warm up, continuously worked the clutch and still nothing, still would pop and stall w/ the clutch pulled, so I decided to baby it to my house and if i had to stop toss it in neutral and when i had to start off i had to run w/ my own 2 feet before switchin to 1st,lol. I looked ridiculous but hey it worked.

So half way home I was constantly workin the clutch over and over etc. & FINALLY she free'd herself and started working again.......So I ask you all this, is this simply from no use all year and sitting way too much, should i just ride it often to get all parts in working,lubed order again or should i start tearin things apart and replacing something here?

Half way home and it ran like a top w/ no issues even after i got home i continued riding to make sure it wasnt just a fluke but it ran like a champ the entire time. Shall i leave it be and just keep the bike active & what not?

Comment

Maybe it's clutch slippage? Wonder what kind of oil is in there.

Of course I may be wrong. This is only a thought. Clutch slippage can happen when you put oil in the engine that says "Energy Conserving" on the back of the oil jug. You might have to clean up your clutch. Then top it off with some Rotella diesel oil.

Not sure why the clutch pops when cold but not when warm . Just try riding the bike more .

Comment

I bought a 1980 XS1100 from a co-worker years ago that did just what you describe here. An afternoon of riding the mountain roads with alot of shifting freed it up. Just change the oil and you'll be fine.

Comment

Might be the oil working in between the clutch plates or you might still need to do some adjusting. Either way, keep riding it.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

ok ill just keep on gittin on down the road w/ it and see how it fairs from here on out. thanx a ton folks.

Comment

just change the oil and ride it , the clutch was stuck from sitting. Pretty obvious it is not a slipping clutch. Happens alot to bikes that sit.
                            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Yep

My GS500F 2005 will do the same thing after it sits for a while. After I ride it, its fine.A While, like a week or two.
                              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
                              Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X