Problem with suspension???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with suspension???

I have a 1981 GS450T. The problem is that at speeds over 50 the bike sways or wiggles side to side for about 4 wiggles and feels uncontrolable in the rear when I turn the handle bars quickly. My swing arm feels tight and has no side to side play. The shock feel very soft and bottom out easily until I have adjusted the springs over 1/2 way. The steering head was loose until I tighten it up, but doesn't seem to change the side to side wiggle. Tires are in great shape and properly inflated. Question is has anyone else had this problem and do you think it might be worn rear shocks??
    Thanks
    Dibber

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Dibber,

How old are your tires? <<Clicky.

No matter how good they look, old tires are dry, hard, and can crack and rupture. For me, over four years is too old for a tire. Make sure your tires have proper inflation.

Yes, riding around on 30 year old suspension can be interesting. I've replaced the fork springs and shocks on my bike. It helps a great deal.

If it's not in your budget to replace suspension parts right away, try dialing up your shock's preload adjustment. Make sure the bushings are in good shape.

As for bearings, it doesn't take much wiggle to produce undesired handling. Wheel bearings, steering head bearings, and swingarm bearings should be replaced if you notice any play in them.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Wheel bearings?

How heavy are you? (not meaning to be rude but if you're a hefty bloke it could make a difference).
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Tires are one year old. I weigh 195 lbs. The bike only has 11,000 miles. I talked to an older biker who recently sold his shop and retired. He told me to repack the steering head bearings and swing arm bearings. Then consider replacing the shocks. He also told me the bike looks really clean for an 81. So I will start there, unless I hear some other advice.

Thanks for your replies and so soon too.
        Dibber

Comment

All I can do is share how mine was originally.

At any speed in a corner after riding for about half an hour, it'd feel like there was a hinge in the middle of the bike. That was swingarm bearings and they were destroyed, no grease in there. Sounds like you're covered off with that one though.

At high speed (140kph+) I got a front end wobble which is soft fork springs (they're terrible from the factory).

It sounds to me like your rear shocks are worn out, although mine are now the opposite and they feel like struts.

The other thing is to check to ensure your wheels are correctly aligned. Perhaps the rear's off after a chain replacement/adjustment?
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Just an up date. My problem has been solved and the bike really handles nice. I talked to Jeff at Blue Cat Motors in St Paul, MN (these guys specialize in repairing older bikes and are great dudes too). He told me it was my rear tire, because it was over sized and was not centered during chain adjustment that caused the tire to ware more on the right side and would cause the wobble. Put a new rear tire, of the proper size, on and the bike rides great.

Comment

Thanks for the update! It's good to know the cause as it gives us all something extra to put in our minds for future reference...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
              X