Clutch cable snapped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch cable snapped

I was riding my 1981 GS450L when the clutch cable snapped off at the lead piece attached to the cable that goes to the clutch handle. So I down shifted the bike to first from 5 gear to 1 gear, without the clutch. I was shifting into 5 gear when the cable snapped. Then I pushed the bike forward to change the bikes gear from first to neutral.

Now when I got home I took a pare of vise grips and grabbed the clutch cable at the handle to try to pull it, It wont move. So I take the foot peg off, the shifter lever and the cover over the clutch and chain part off. then I pulled the clutch cable with the cover off and the spring is fine and the round part the rod hits moves in and out. But it seems the rod that goes into the motor is not moving. When I first took it apart and then put 3 bolts into the cover, to try and test the clutch, it worked then i started the bike turned it off put it back all together and then the clutch didn't work again, dose not move.
    I know i need a new clutch cable but any ideas on what is happening.
    Thanks.

Originally posted by Tak View Post
    I was riding my 1981 GS450L when the clutch cable snapped off at the lead piece attached to the cable that goes to the clutch handle. So I down shifted the bike to first from 5 gear to 1 gear, without the clutch. I was shifting into 5 gear when the cable snapped. Then I pushed the bike forward to change the bikes gear from first to neutral.

Now when I got home I took a pare of vise grips and grabbed the clutch cable at the handle to try to pull it, It wont move. So I take the foot peg off, the shifter lever and the cover over the clutch and chain part off. then I pulled the clutch cable with the cover off and the spring is fine and the round part the rod hits moves in and out. But it seems the rod that goes into the motor is not moving. When I first took it apart and then put 3 bolts into the cover, to try and test the clutch, it worked then i started the bike turned it off put it back all together and then the clutch didn't work again, dose not move.
    I know i need a new clutch cable but any ideas on what is happening.
    Thanks.
    It seems that if I put the clutch cover on and only tighten the top left bolt, the clutch will engage and i can start the bike. but it causes the cover to pop out but when its all tightened down the clutch doesn't move.

Comment

So I took off the clutch cover, on the side of the bike with the magneto on it. And magically I can move the clutch again? I don't know what happened but now its releasing the clutch plates and shifting. I think the ball in there that gets pushed might have a flat spot on it. need to get it out and look at it. but order a new cable, clutch cover gasket, and oil filter cause I dropped the oil. I hope when I put it all back everything is fine. This is all just to weird, Hope its not the end of my bike. Well I will update when I get the new parts.

Comment

You need to remove the sprocket cover again and disassemble the clutch rod actuation assembly. Clean it very thoroughly, paying special attention to the worm gears. Grease the worm gears and reassemble.
        This poorly designed mechanism is a carry-over from the 60s and gets clogged with crud from the chain. Result: poor or no actuation.

Comment

I planned on removing that cover that the rod push though, under the sproket cover. But do I need to remove the front sproket first? I still want to clean and lub in there and just to check it but now the clutch moves again. I think when I pounded the clutch cover off it moved something back in place in the clutch and I think the new maxima chain wax I bought for my new chain and sprokets got caught in there. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Up and running all that counts, from my everyday rider. Still don't know what happened other then the cable snapping.

Comment

Working...
            X