slow carb takedown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slow carb takedown

Got one of my GS1100's on the road yesterday and noticed at stops that the idle would hover near 2500rpm and eventually come down to idle after about 15 sec.

I did clean the carbs some time ago and didn't notice this symptom. Only now.

Runs well otherwise

Any ideas where to start looking?

Originally posted by Mercaholic View Post
    Got one of my GS1100's on the road yesterday and noticed at stops that the idle would hover near 2500rpm and eventually come down to idle after about 15 sec.

I did clean the carbs some time ago and didn't notice this symptom. Only now.

Runs well otherwise

Any ideas where to start looking?
    Yes, start looking at a calendar.

You cleaned the carbs "some time ago". How long ago was that? How often has the bike been used since then? Was it stored properly in between uses?

Regardless, the hanging idle indicates a lean condition. Start with the mechanical stuff. Make sure there are no air leaks between the carb and the engine.. Does your bike have o-rings on the intake tubes? (some do, some don't) Where are your idle mixture adjustment screws set? Are you running stock airbox and exhaust or pods and/or a header? For stock setups, the mixture screws could be anywhere from 2 to 3 turns out from lightly seated. You can set this via the "highest idle speed" method. Dependingn on pods/header combination, the mixture screws might need to go farther out. If they need to go past 4 turns, you will need to bump the pilot fuel jet up one size.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Yes, start looking at a calendar.

You cleaned the carbs "some time ago". How long ago was that? How often has the bike been used since then? Was it stored properly in between uses?

Regardless, the hanging idle indicates a lean condition. Start with the mechanical stuff. Make sure there are no air leaks between the carb and the engine.. Does your bike have o-rings on the intake tubes? (some do, some don't) Where are your idle mixture adjustment screws set? Are you running stock airbox and exhaust or pods and/or a header? For stock setups, the mixture screws could be anywhere from 2 to 3 turns out from lightly seated. You can set this via the "highest idle speed" method. Dependingn on pods/header combination, the mixture screws might need to go farther out. If they need to go past 4 turns, you will need to bump the pilot fuel jet up one size.

Thanks, that's exactly the info I needed.

Comment

Working...
      X