Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 variations: What Fits What?

Hi new to the forums.

Due to financial difficulty, I sold my Triumph 900. Found a 1982 GS450L on craigslist cheap. Got a OEM Service manual for it. The bike starts and runs but needs a ton of rubber replaced in fuel system and brakes. Currently waiting on the parts to come.

I thought originally I was just buying a junker to spin around the block while I saved up for a Wee Strom in the distant futurer. But the more I learn about this bike the more I see potential. I would like to do some moderate touring (hence the wee strom dream).

I have a bunch of bolt on stuff that I kept, Rifle sport fairing, Nonfango hard bags, luggage rack and Rear trunk. So that end is set.

Looks like if I get the maintence caught up and stay on top of it this is going to be a solid bike. Not too worried about the power, this should do fine on the highway. And with that sixth gear will cruise nicely. Also, holy crap numeric gear postion indicator! What? That's awsome.

But to make this a better mini-tourer . . .

Will a 1981 GS450SX tank fit on an 1982 GS450LZ? Looks like the SX is 4 gal. instead of 3 gal. on the LZ. If so that would give me 50 or so more mile range.

Also, what about the 1982 GS450GA? It an automatic, which I don't want. But I was thinking that the drive shaft swing arm and secondary drive unit might fit on a 1982 GS450LZ Engine and frame. A drive shaft is nice for touring. Anyone know for sure?

What about oil coolers? The 1982 GS450GA also has an oil cooler. Anyone know if the LZ can be fitted with with a GA cooler? I can see that being a nice addition for stop and go traffic.

Welcome along Tommy, good to see another 450 in the works here!

As for the swaps, the mounting of the tanks are different, but if you're handy with a welder you can most likely do it.

The shaft drive from the 450A won't be anywhere near an easy swap, and I haven't seen anyone even attempt it. While it may be possible, it's also possible there are not enough curse words in the English language to see it through

I've never seen a need to fit an oil cooler to a 450 either. The A I can understand as the auto will add some extra heat and load to the engine, but I've never had an issue with my E even when I've ridden in peak hour at times, although that was quite a long time ago.

Good luck with it and you'll more than likely find everything you need to know right here in the forums.

Couple of quick tips to get you started too:

- Check your valve clearances
    - Give the carbs a really thorough clean if the bike's been idle for any period of time
    - Check all your intake boots and O rings and the airbox seals
    - If it's the original rubber brake hose, get rid of it in favour of a braided line
    - Check the the charging system out, definitely a weak point on these guys and given the ignitors are rare as hens teeth, you don't wanna kill it with a dodgy charging system

There are heaps of other things you can do to get it in tip top shape and a fella by the username of BassCliff should be along any time now to give you a mega welcome with lots of other excellent advice and tips.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hi Tommy, I agree a shaft drive is better for touring but they do sap alot of power which might be a bind on a small engine !!! fine if you've got 1000cc or +100bhp
      But with the 450,s meager 40ish bhp then it would probably be about the same horse power as a good 250cc, I think i read somewhere that a shaft drive reduces bhp by about 10--15% not entirely sure about this though Just a thought,

Comment

Working...
      X