Wtf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wtf

I'm going crazy. @ 4k rpm my 81 450t bogs. If I chop the throttle it will move right past into higher rpm and run well. If I just hammer the throttle it will move through the midrange no problem. Under normal riding conditions however it hits 4k and just sputters and farts.
    I have removed the carbs, dipped 'em, blew them out and inspected every passage with a magnifying glass. Upon reinstall the bike runs like a top for about a week and then the problem reappears. I have checked the petcock and it's clean. Vacuum is tight and I can find no leaks. I also installed nice new fuel line. I have done this three times now thinking each time would be the last.
    If anyone has any input that might be helpful it would be much appreciated as I am nearing the end of my rope.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Check the easy stuff first....

Plugged gas cap vent ? Pinched petcock vac line ? Leaky airbox ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Sounds like the E10 Fuel is getting at your bike. I had issues last year with my wing. Had it apart many times and was going crazy. I found out about this treatment called Star Tron. mystarbrite.com/startron I've never been one to fall for the "snake Oil" additives but I have been using it since last June and the bikes have been running awesome. Boaters have been dealing with Ethanol Fuel Problems longer than us and have been getting great results with this treatment.

Comment

all checked. tight as a frogs backside and no kinks. i noticed some crusty junk in one of my drain plugs last time they were apart.

Comment

How's your tank, any trash in there?
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Tank rusty?
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Appears to have the beginnings. I have been draining the tank and checking the filter and may or may not find 1-2 little flakes.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2011, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys! I think i will clean and seafoam the tank and see if that helps.

Comment

Well, rather than pull carbs for the fourth time in a month or so I decided to look at wires. The blue/white R/R wire connector was slightly melted. I replaced it. I also suspected that the boot that kept all connections for the R/R and ignitor was getting sucked up into my intake. So, I pulled the boot back and out of the way let the wires breathe and guess what? Problem gone.

Comment

Wow well done! That's a new one to add to the list...
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                    X